• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Passports and the IRS.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
My passport has expired and I want to apply for a new one. I have heard that now the IRS gets involved with the passport process and applying for one can actually trigger an audit.

I think I'm good, but who the hell would want to be audited. Has anyone heard about this one way or the other?

My passport has expired and I want to apply for a new one. I have heard that now the IRS gets involved with the passport process and applying for one can actually trigger an audit.

I think I'm good, but who the hell would want to be audited. Has anyone heard about this one way or the other?
It’s bull crap. Just don’t write off your passport as a business expense. ;)

That's nuts! Next thing you know they'll be enforcing healthcare laws and buying SD ammo by the pallet....

There was some rumor that anyone owing back taxes might face extra scrutiny to minimize folks leaving the country without paying up, especially with the growing number of ex-pats. Unless you are on their "hit" list, the link between the IRS and your passport shouldn't be a concern.

I think I read that it is for people (American Citizens) that owe back taxes that are out of the country or living in an other country. It's a way of squeezing the money out of them. for what I understand if your passport is revoked, you get tossed out of the foreign country or deported to the states. I have had a passport since I was 18, my children since they were 18, IRS is only doing there jobs and their people just like me and you, only younger in my case.

I just got a new one last year after having mine expire 20 years ago... Not a huge process these days.

You fill out an online form, and when you print out your copy it will include the types of ID you need to bring with you. A new (Real ID) GA license is one, and there's a whole bunch of other ones you can use. I want to say an original birth certificate is required as well. It's all on the form that you fill out and print.

The only thing that got me was that you can only use a credit/debit card for a part of the cost. The rest has to be cash or money order (and maybe personal check... I forget on that).

Just like the DMV, go during off hours if you can. They will go over your form and make sure you have all the right things when you check in, and then you wait for an inspector. I didn't even have a chance to sit before he called my name. They will take your picture right then and there if you don't already have one but other than that it only takes a few minutes for them to go through your ID and submit everything.

I got mine back in about 2 weeks. I did order both the card and the book, since it wasn't much extra, but it seems like no one uses the card so it may be a waste of money. Probably more useful for TSA if you come from a state that doesn't do Real ID drivers licenses.

The only thing that got me was that you can only use a credit/debit card for a part of the cost. The rest has to be cash or money order (and maybe personal check... I forget on that).

They accept personal checks. Sent my stuff off last week. Check was deposited yesterday.

Dekalb Superior Court has a passport thingy this Saturday. I believe they will do everything.

56454558_2095318223917140_7298308540203008000_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom