• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pine Log hogs

It is now legal to use center-fire rifles on fur bearers from the start of deer season until the season on fur bearers closes (typically the last day of February), so on any public land that allows fur bearer hunting use of a center fire rifle is legal for hogs as long as the fur bearer season is open.

This is a relatively new law, but I got solid confirmation on it last year.
A .223 is considered a center-fire rifle, right?

It is now legal to use center-fire rifles on fur bearers from the start of deer season until the season on fur bearers closes (typically the last day of February), so on any public land that allows fur bearer hunting use of a center fire rifle is legal for hogs as long as the fur bearer season is open.

This is a relatively new law, but I got solid confirmation on it last year.

Interesting, the regs do list fox and bobcat under the small game section and both are considered fur barriers. I've not heard of this "exception" before. I may have to call and see if other WMA's would allow it.

IMG_5396.jpg
From the regs for Pine Log WMA: No furbearer hunting allowed...

I have called some WMAs and they have all told me that you can only hunt hogs during another hunting season and you can only use the appropriate weapon for that animal and that season but it may be used on hogs also...

I have called some WMAs and they have all told me that you can only hunt hogs during another hunting season and you can only use the appropriate weapon for that animal and that season but it may be used on hogs also...
Yep. That's why the fur bearer regs are important. State law now allows the use of center-fire rifles on fur bearers once deer season has started. It continues to the end of fur bearer season. So, if you can hunt fur bearers, you can hunt hogs with a deer rifle.

Back
Top Bottom