• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol/Rifle Legality question

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
With all the sales in AR stuff going on, I have a question about a potential hick up on a build. Say a person buys a stripped lower, on the transfer form is it put down as a rifle. The build never happens and the lower gets sold to another individual who builds a pistol on it. Is that legit?

Is that the standard of how they are done. I don't want to get caught up in something and get blind sided by a technicality.

Is that the standard of how they are done. I don't want to get caught up in something and get blind sided by a technicality.

Call the FFL that originally transferred it. Or just buy another lower if you want to be absolutely sure. You are only looking at 10% or less of the finished cost of the gun.

What about these 80% lowers?

Say I buy a 5 pack of them (because they are cheaper in bulk) can I build 2 pistols and 3 rifles?

*side note*
Since they have no serial number what do you guys do when you are finished with the builds?

Can you ever sell them?
What about transporting them to the range and you get pulled over?

Now u have 5 ARs with no serial numbers in the truck.

Legalities?

Say I buy a 5 pack of them (because they are cheaper in bulk) can I build 2 pistols and 3 rifles?

*side note*
Since they have no serial number what do you guys do when you are finished with the builds?

Can you ever sell them?

Legalities?

Build what you want, don't go trying to sell them unless you have a manufacturers license, (which would require serial numbers).

I have a hard enough parting with my guns. I buy way more than I sell.

I wouldn't sell them I was thinking:
556 pistol
300 BO pistol
556 rifle 16 in
556 rifle 20 in
300 BO
All as a set - same brand, same style

But is that legal to have 5 guns without serial numbers if you are transporting them to a range or to private property to shoot?

Call the FFL that originally transferred it. Or just buy another lower if you want to be absolutely sure. You are only looking at 10% or less of the finished cost of the gun.

A lower/gun that has passed through several hands would be close to impossible for the average person to track down. Why replace a lower if there is no need? I'm looking for the answer, not a work around. Replacing the lower is an option, yes; but there must be correct answer. If all stripped lowers go on the paperwork as "other," it does not matter. I have always herd you could make pistols into rifles bit not rifles into pistols.

*side note*

Can you ever sell them?

Legalities?

556 pistol
300 BO pistol
556 rifle 16 in
556 rifle 20 in
300 BO

But is that legal to have 5 guns without serial numbers if you are transporting them to a range or to private property to shoot?

@will4me can probably answer most of those questions as far as the build.
I've heard conflicting opinions on if you can sell, technically you can sell it if you did not build it with that intent but some state law conflicts with that.
Also technically you don't have to serialize it (or them) if you don't sell them but lots of people suggest you do just in case of theft or if some LEO isn't familiar with 80% receivers.

At least one company has the option of custom engraving on their 80% lowers when you order them.

556 pistol
300 BO pistol
556 rifle 16 in
556 rifle 20 in
300 BO

You could have 9 different uppers and one or two lower receivers and swap them out to your pleasure. Just avoid the Sbr combination without the tax stamp.

Back
Top Bottom