• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pocket .380 for the Summer Options

WarAJEagle

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm currently looking for a pocket .380 for the summer. I'm particularly interested in the new Ruger LCP2. Has anyone had the chance to pick one up or shoot it? My first carry gun was the original LC9, and that trigger was awful and I haven't owned a Ruger pistol since.

The other .380 I've looked at it is the Taurus (I forget the model name). But it has a long DAO trigger and such. Anything else I should look at? I've tried to find Kahr's around here, but nobody really carries them. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had most of them. they all have fairly long DAO triggers minus the sig which is SAO. I like the Taurus tcp due to the fact it has the last round hold open but the new lcp II does as well. The newer lcp are also good but the trigger is still a pretty long pull

This.
14909712794782039042733.jpg

I've had the Kel-Tec since it came out-- it was first, by a few years. And it may still be the lightest and smallest. But it's a beast to shoot. I am not recommending it, with all the other options available. The Smith's seem OK, as do the Rugers. Don't like the safety on the Smith though-- it's too small to hit under stress, and not needed anyway.

The Kahr .380s have a poor reputation for feed reliability, though I personally like Kahr triggers. Some do not.

This is the brand holster you want though. There are several models to choose from, depending on what kind of pants pocket you typically use.

http://pcsholsters.com/catalog_item_BRD.html

They cost more, because they are the best.

I have a Kahr cw380 that I wear either ankle holster or pocket holster and really like that. Have an older LCP1 which I do not like (long trigger pull, and the reset is a double click, cannot fire after the first click) and a brand new LCP2 which is a big improvement.

I'd go Kahr or LCP2. I have yet to take the LCP2 to the range but the trigger seems pretty good and it is more ergonomic from a fit standpoint.

I have a Kahr cw380 that I wear either ankle holster or pocket holster and really like that. Have an older LCP1 which I do not like (long trigger pull, and the reset is a double click, cannot fire after the first click) and a brand new LCP2 which is a big improvement.

I'd go Kahr or LCP2. I have yet to take the LCP2 to the range but the trigger seems pretty good and it is more ergonomic from a fit standpoint.

I'm leaning LCP 2, especially since they come with pocket holsters now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... My first carry gun was the original LC9, and that trigger was awful ...the Taurus ...has a long DAO trigger and such. ..

Not all long double-action triggers are equally bad.
I had no issues with my first-generation Taurus PT111 Millennium. It was a true DAO gun, but the trigger pull was pretty smooth and light. Maybe 6 lbs? No stacking. I could shoot that gun with good accuracy, even rapid fire, even one-handed.

My Kel-Tec P32 has a stiffer trigger. It's not as good, but still acceptable. For a pocket gun, the DAO type of action has merit, and I don't mind.

On the other hand, I recently tried a SCCY 9mm, and that trigger pull was awful. Way too hard, especially early in the pull stroke, when my finger was straining to reach the trigger. I'd never own something like that. Good thing it was just a rental for that one range session.

As for a striker-fired .380 with a light and smooth trigger pull, the only one I've used is the Glock 42.
That particular gun had some jamming issues (with Win. white box ammo from WallyMart), but it fit my hand great, had a nice trigger, good sights (compared to most pocket pistols and small-frame revolvers), and was just big enough to feel like a "real gun" in your hand, but not too big for deep concealment or pocket carry.

Back
Top Bottom