• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Portable Generator help

ItBeMe

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
34   0
Reaction score
I have a
Briggs & Stratton Storm Responder 5500 Watt Generator
that is not working. I checked the brushes and the circuit breaker and they are ok.
Does anybody know of a place in or near Carrollton that fixes these.
Gen.jpg

Lots of "basic checks" videos on YouTube but focus on "no power output", assuming your generator engine cranks and runs okay. Not too many parts to rule out, like brushes and voltage regulator (AVR), which you should be able to test with basic volt meter. Beyond the basics, if it gets into rotor windings or stator/armature windings, the cost will probably exceed the value of the repair. A good video to start with is:

If it's no output, do a web search on the symptoms as there is a way to re-energize the winding or something like that that will get it working again.

If it's no output, do a web search on the symptoms as there is a way to re-energize the winding or something like that that will get it working again.

On basic, small generators (actually, alternators) that don't have self-excitation (permanent magnet style), field flashing may be required to restore field. Basically hooking up a DC source to flash... YouTube is your friend.

Ricky driver has an electric motor shop in villa rica. Off industrial blvd turn like you going in to georgia arms...keep going up that road to the end. U will pass numerous other businesses he is last on right. Good people.
I believe its called industrial motors?
He knows his stuff. Exciting or flashing is easily done..just be very careful to make it quick on the "jumpoff".

Ricky driver has an electric motor shop in villa rica. Off industrial blvd turn like you going in to georgia arms...keep going up that road to the end. U will pass numerous other businesses he is last on right. Good people.
I believe its called industrial motors?
He knows his stuff. Exciting or flashing is easily done..just be very careful to make it quick on the "jumpoff".

Thanks I will look him up.

Back
Top Bottom