Possible Petition for new Law under Castle Doctriine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
I made a thread about the recent multiple robberies of my neighbor and this is something that many people on the forums discuss, but this is a different topic from what I posted earlier.

After the detective took all information from witnesses and my neighbor I spoke with him about several things such as what to do to protect our home should we get robbed while not away and even if I get robbed while I'm home. Recently I installed window and door alarms should someone break in while I'm not home to deter them and to alert me if someone does break in if I'm home. If they don't care that my vehicles in the driveway and intrude anyways, and after hearing the alarms go off they still stay in the house to finish the job, I asked the leo about what to do in a self defense shooting and asked for his thoughs. He told me that he's done multiple investigations on burgularys where there were justified homicides. He said sometimes they found a gun on the intruder, sometimes they didn't. As long as I could prove that I was in fear for my life or my familys life my case would be dismissed, and he agreed that given there is a vehicle in the driveway when they break in this gives me reasonable suspicion that they are armed. So after confirming what I already thought about the criminal end of a justified homicide I asked him about the civil end. He said that in the state of Georgia there is still the ability of the family to file a wrongful death suit. Even if the state of georgia finds me not guilty, I could still be sued. The Leo told me many court cases are thrown out considering it is self defense and justified homicide, but if there is no evidence that the intruders are armed this could still present a much bigger problem in civil matters..

Basically what I'm saying is this. It is our right to protect our homes and families from those that wish bring us harm. While at the state level, we may face no charges we could potentially face hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of "reparations" because the family of some scum feels their son shouldn't have been shot. What do we need to ensure our protection from civil suits under our castle doctrine? What I'm suggesting is that under the Georgia state Castle doctrine, if you are found not guilty by reason of Justified homicide protecting yourself, your vehicle, or your home and your family theirein, then the family of the deceased can not bring you to trial over a wrongful death suit.

The state of Georgia protects the shooter in justified shootings of self defense except in situations of excessive force, where the defender used deadly force on a subdued, cooperative, or disabled assailant or where third party persons or property were damaged during the event.

O.C.G.A. § 51-11-9
Immunity from civil liability for threat or use of force in defense of habitation

A person who is justified in threatening or using force against another under the provisions of Code Section 16-3-21, relating to the use of force in defense of self or others, Code Section 16-3-23, relating to the use of force in defense of a habitation, or Code Section 16-3-24, relating to the use of force in defense of property other than a habitation, has no duty to retreat from the use of such force and shall not be held liable to the person against whom the use of force was justified or to any person acting as an accomplice or assistant to such person in any civil action brought as a result of the threat or use of such force.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=51&chapter=11&section=9

The state of Georgia protects the shooter in justified shootings of self defense except in situations of excessive force, where the defender used deadly force on a subdued, cooperative, or disabled assailant or where third party persons or property were damaged during the event.

Thank you for that info, I must have misheard the LEO. While shooting in a home invasion situation is the last option, if an intruder charges me or fails to comply I would then resort to lethal force. Will be closing thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom