• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post 64 30-30s what's the REAL scoop?

buckeroo

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
45   0
Reaction score
From what I have read the finishes are not as great and a few parts are not as strong. In real world usage, I'd love to have a Model 94 30-30 to take deer hunting once or twice a year as a backup to my .308. Or I'd loan it to new hunting buddies to use occasionally.

Are there some years post 64 to absolutely stay away from and are there years they improved the shortcomings? I know what post 64s usually bring, but what should a decent, hunter grade pre 64 run me?

Thanks!

From what I have read the finishes are not as great and a few parts are not as strong. In real world usage, I'd love to have a Model 94 30-30 to take deer hunting once or twice a year as a backup to my .308. Or I'd loan it to new hunting buddies to use occasionally.

Are there some years post 64 to absolutely stay away from and are there years they improved the shortcomings? I know what post 64s usually bring, but what should a decent, hunter grade pre 64 run me?

Thanks!

I've had a couple and generally they just don't seem as nice but still are fine hunting rifles. you can pick up a post 64 ranger for real cheap if you look around (paid 200 for mine). For the pre 64's I honestly seem prices range pretty far. There was one on here not too long ago that was in great shape that the only issue was it had been tapped for a scope and he was selling it for 300 which seemed very fair to me

I might be the weird one, but any pre-64 I've ever seen in a gun shop had no bluing left and was just a brownish tint. I have a 71 model that is still nice and blued. Wood to metal finish is awesome.

Thanks CBH13 CBH13 . Knowing me I'd still ultimately like to have a pre-64, but some some guys on Armslist trying to get $1000+ which I'd never ever pay.

neither would I. im sure there are some that are worth it for special models but I'd have no clue which ones they would be.

Back
Top Bottom