• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
And #3 for today: Amos’ BBQ and Biscuits.
That’s right, I hit a BBQ Trifecta. 3 lunches in one day.
8FB34A16-CFCA-43B0-9CF4-678D2A6642F6.jpeg

499A70E1-264B-43D2-9584-BC820DEB9881.jpeg

The drive was fun. About 60 miles from my home, but only 15 past my original stop for the day. Much closer than I thought. Saw a lot of Georgia I’ve ever seen before.
I’m bummed I missed out on the biscuits.
This place is cool. Smoker right out front by the road, but I think that’s for show. There’s a shed/shack attached to the back of the main building that probably houses the real deal. They have logs out front, and piles and piles of cut wood. The building is kitschy and reminds me of old school BBQ places in Middle Georgia. A few tables inside and 3 big picnic tables on the front porch.
8D25CCEA-87EE-49CD-8DF6-783FB9869843.jpeg 2B331EFD-2653-4450-9413-0A7BC6221945.jpeg
Once again, stew and pulled pork. The kid behind the counter was nice enough. I’ll stick to food and not go into details about the kid behind the counter wanting to take my debit card to the back because the machine up front ‘wasn’t working right today.’ My ass, you will.

The Brunswick stew was damn near perfect. Whole kernel corn, just the right amount of chunk to liquid ratio, shredded pork, big grind black pepper, and fresh cut tomato, not canned diced tomato. The stew alone would be worth the trip.

Which was good because as soon as I got my sandwich it.....was cold.

53AE0454-7482-42DC-A0D7-0D4BA17F0783.jpeg BED4C247-E14F-45FA-9824-C745C28CE4BA.jpeg
That makes 7 places in 4 days. Going for more tomorrow....

There is a little hole in the wall place in Buckhead Ga (the town, not Atlanta) that has the best BBQ I have had in Ga. Nothing compares to good Eastern NC BBQ, but this is close.

I knew it would be good when I saw the cooker out by the street, chained to a power pole!

Is the Meat & 3 restaurant still there in the old gas station?

Have to go to my Granmama’s house to get better fried chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice. Know the name?

One of my favorite BBQ restaurants of all time was on Irby St in Buckhead (Atlanta). One Star Ranch. It was a dive in the middle of luxury condo towers. One Star and proud of it. The beef rib was the best I’ve ever had.

In buckhead there are a grand total of 1 store & evidently there are now 2 restaurants.

There was 3 cows but one moved to Madison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For lunch today we headed to Athens. I drive by this place several times a week, and have yet to try it, but wanted to for years. My expectations were pretty well built up.
Dawg Gone Good BBQ, Athens.

The kid and I each got a pulled pork sandwich plate, with different sides. He had Mac & cheese and green beans. I got collards and baked beans. The have 3 sauces: sweet, hot vinegar, and a mix of the 2. No stew as they only had hash (what the hell?).

Likes: they have a variety of sides, like 12 total from which to choose. And man are they (mostly) good. The collards are flavored and cooked very well. As are the green beans. Neither are cooked to oblivion, they still have some texture. And flavored heavily with porky fatty goodness. The Mac & cheese is among the best I’ve ever eaten at a restaurant. Creamy. Large chunks of melted cheddar scattered throughout. Almost perfect. The servings are large. Neither of us finished any helping on either plate.

Disliked: plain old sunbeam white hamburger buns; straight out of the package (I sense this is going to diminish my experience in many a BBQ place). The meat was meh. Cooked and or reheated a bit too long. It was shredded really small as well so it just ended up as a sauce-flavored spongy mess. The green beans were a bit too hot for my son’s liking. The baked beans were good not great.

But the other sides, oh man, were they good. Flecks of crushed red pepper in the collards gave them just enough heat. The green beans were really good, just may be a bit too spicy for some. And again - the Mac & cheese was truly great. Like I said, my expectations built up over 6 years so the bar was pretty high.

Lessons learned: don’t go to a BBQ place if the smoker ain’t running. And don’t give your 5 year old 16 oz of lemonade ever.

View attachment 3058552 View attachment 3058553 View attachment 3058554 View attachment 3058555 View attachment 3058556
Keep em coming!!!

Back
Top Bottom