• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
I went there on Friday.

Is the Williamson Bro’s in Canton the same group as in Marietta? They’re very good.
Pretty sure it is the same ownership. I eat at the Canton location at least once a month. Love the chopped pork plate with fries and stew. If you're willing to get away from the bbq (hard for me lol), try the ribeye cooked on the pit or the catfish. Both are really good.

If you're around Hiawassee or Clarksville, try Hawg Wild BBQ and Catfish. Never tried the catfish, but the bbq is good. I've been to the Clarksville location several time for lunch. I have clients around that area, and I try to eat there when I'm up. They bring you a basket of hushpuppies for an appetizer.
20201223_124330.jpg
20201223_124805.jpg

Now that the gout is under control is time to fire this back up.

5B’s BBQ, near Lake Oconee, Greensboro. https://www.5bbarbequeandbrews.com/

Full Disclosure: This is one of my real job accounts, so he’s a customer. But not an ODT member as far as I know so if something is a piece of **** I’ll say so.

This location was formerly the Pickle Barrel. Which, if you know anything about the place, was a hot mess. New owners just opened up a few weeks ago. They’re new to the restaurant world (God help them) and doing pretty good so far. They removed all the kitsch from the walls, repainted, and moved the main entrance to the front door.

Drinks: offer a full bar, with a good, high-end selection of spirits, very good international selection of beer, and a small but focused wine list. The owner is a home brewer, and spent several years in the Caribbean, so he has a love of high quality rum. I ordered a rum Old Fashioned made with Ron Zacapa 23 yr, because I’m a sucker for rum Old Fashioneds.

552A4BF7-BBEF-4E34-8436-E1EED71A94EA.jpegCA8FC741-F319-464F-B26C-CEE3C3B4BA3E.jpeg

Food: I ordered the bbq plate - pick 2 sides and your protein: house made sausage, brisked, pulled pork, chicken, ribs. I got sliced brisket with beans, Mac & cheese, and Brunswick stew.
2D8CE3DD-2848-426D-ACC1-A9824DA46A5F.jpeg360CBA05-F364-4D14-A65D-63CB454B9E28.jpeg55E32C4B-0DD9-4C9F-9708-1E7EBF2340F3.jpeg050F0AB5-D22D-4D02-95C6-8AF35D73FE6C.jpeg

The food was very good. The brisket was tender, fell apart with just a tough of the fork, had good bark, and was seasoned with just salt/ pepper. It’s the best brisket I’ve had this year. The stew was also very good, had appropriate meat to veggie ratio and didn’t need any salt or pepper. Maybe a tad ton chunky for my liking, but still very good. Mac & cheese was rich and cheesy. Needed pepper. The beans were good, not overly sweet, or overcooked. They had a good texture. The sauce was the only thing I didn’t really care for. I like a vinegar sauce or a tomato sauce with lots of tang. Their sauce is a KC style, not overly sweet by any means, but too little bite for me. Fortunately the meat was so good it didn’t need any sauce ‘tall.

Atmospthere/ service: this is always one of my pet peeves, because people in the hospitality bidness frequently forget they’re in the hospitality bidness. The server was nice and prompt but a little inattentive. Needed drink refills a bit quicker. The music was too low - we could hear conversations going on all around the room. Guests stood at the host stand too long before getting sat. Nothing they can’t fix easily. Also, they’re closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which seems odd to me.

Overall though it’s the best BBQ in the area and I look forward to going back.

Now that the gout is under control is time to fire this back up.

5B’s BBQ, near Lake Oconee, Greensboro. https://www.5bbarbequeandbrews.com/

Full Disclosure: This is one of my real job accounts, so he’s a customer. But not an ODT member as far as I know so if something is a piece of **** I’ll say so.

This location was formerly the Pickle Barrel. Which, if you know anything about the place, was a hot mess. New owners just opened up a few weeks ago. They’re new to the restaurant world (God help them) and doing pretty good so far. They removed all the kitsch from the walls, repainted, and moved the main entrance to the front door.

Drinks: offer a full bar, with a good, high-end selection of spirits, very good international selection of beer, and a small but focused wine list. The owner is a home brewer, and spent several years in the Caribbean, so he has a love of high quality rum. I ordered a rum Old Fashioned made with Ron Zacapa 23 yr, because I’m a sucker for rum Old Fashioneds.

View attachment 4013035View attachment 4013036

Food: I ordered the bbq plate - pick 2 sides and your protein: house made sausage, brisked, pulled pork, chicken, ribs. I got sliced brisket with beans, Mac & cheese, and Brunswick stew.
View attachment 4013041View attachment 4013043View attachment 4013044View attachment 4013045

The food was very good. The brisket was tender, fell apart with just a tough of the fork, had good bark, and was seasoned with just salt/ pepper. It’s the best brisket I’ve had this year. The stew was also very good, had appropriate meat to veggie ratio and didn’t need any salt or pepper. Maybe a tad ton chunky for my liking, but still very good. Mac & cheese was rich and cheesy. Needed pepper. The beans were good, not overly sweet, or overcooked. They had a good texture. The sauce was the only thing I didn’t really care for. I like a vinegar sauce or a tomato sauce with lots of tang. Their sauce is a KC style, not overly sweet by any means, but too little bite for me. Fortunately the meat was so good it didn’t need any sauce ‘tall.

Atmospthere/ service: this is always one of my pet peeves, because people in the hospitality bidness frequently forget they’re in the hospitality bidness. The server was nice and prompt but a little inattentive. Needed drink refills a bit quicker. The music was too low - we could hear conversations going on all around the room. Guests stood at the host stand too long before getting sat. Nothing they can’t fix easily. Also, they’re oddly closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, which seems odd to me.

Overall though it’s the best BBQ in the area and I look forward to going back.
I’ll have to try that place next time I’m down that way for work/going to the hunting club.

Martin’s in Warner Robbins.
Brisket and ribs are amazing
I have to keep this in mind. I dont mind riding for good bbq which seems to be what I have to do. This is just up the road.
After reading all of these recommendations and comments about this or that place and how good they are, I realize good BBQ is subjective to your own taste.

A lot of these places I have eaten at and didn't care for, while others think its the end all beat all.
Im gonna try to remember this thread when we head back North.
I agree about being subjective. Hickory House BBQ in Tucker was rumored to be great BBQ. They were packed and we were there between breakfast and lunch. The food had no flavor. When we left I was disappointed and craving BBQ

Back
Top Bottom