• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post up your reviews - Favorite BBQ restaurant?

What type of BBQ is best?

• Chicken

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Pulled/chopped pork

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Pork ribs

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Beef ribs

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • BBQ beef

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BBQ Tacos

• I’m a vegan save the animals

• BBQ brisket

Votes: 51 36.2%

• Total voters
This location is cursed. It’s been 5 different restaurants over the past few years: another bbq place, Preserve (which was fantastic) a vegan/veggie to go stand, a fish shack, and now Tamez.

That's just the 5 places you are old enough to remember. It started out as an Artic (or Dairy) Girl, and where the cooker is was drive in for the car hops. I don't even remember all the other places, Walter's was probably the longest running.

That's just the 5 places you are old enough to remember. It started out as an Artic (or Dairy) Girl, and where the cooker is was drive in for the car hops. I don't even remember all the other places, Walter's was probably the longest running.
You’re right. But I’ve only been here 7 years or so.. . It’s changed hands a lot in that time though. Chef Tamez seems legit. I hope he can make it last.

Had to drive up North a little bit to snag a few fishing rods today. Then had a meet in Pendergrass after that. Afterwards we hit Smokehouse BBQ in Oakwood on the way back home.
5BEF997C-AD1F-4648-AD39-0278022261AE.jpeg
I’m not sure if they’re opened for inside dining or not. But there were no signs of life inside or on the porch, and they have a pickup window, so we hit the drive-thru. There were 2 other cars waiting ahead of us. It took about 20 minutes to get everything once we arrived. Not bad. I’d rather they take their time than have it all sitting under a hot line. The seriously cool old school OG food truck is on the side of the parking lot.
6DDD5E0C-8131-46EB-8C1C-B71E8ACA7C24.jpeg

Pulled pork sandwich, beef sandwich, Mac & cheese, and Brunswick stew. They have a few sauces but I wasn’t asked or given an option, original is what came in the bag.
Sauce: Described as NC vinegar base on their website. A North Carolinian would challenge them to a duel over that claim. It’s cola based. It taste like cola syrup with a ton of unnecessary heat added to it. Way too spicy for the ‘regular’ sauce.
49A1E43A-3EAD-4CD8-9140-18E211837F15.jpeg
Pork Sandwich: comes with pickles! Crinkle cut dill pickles, on the side so they don’t sog up the bread. Sauce is on the side, too. The bun is white bread hamburger buns. Not the cheap generic ones they would serve in middle school, at least one step up to Sunbeam or an equivalent. Not the greatest bun but adequate. The meat is pulled into small strands, though not shredded to death. There is a good amount of crispy outside meat and the portion is pretty good. I couldn’t really taste any sort of rub or sauce on the pork. I think it’s just a smoked butt. It did need sauce with the lack of rub, but I didn’t like the sauce.
74B06B81-220A-4EB4-96E5-D330556939CE.jpeg
689A6785-7BA2-4554-83BD-700AC686B05A.jpeg
Beef Sandwich: again, I couldn’t pick up any rub, marinade, sauce, or flavor. At all. It tasted just like pot roast on a bun. Big portion, but was kind of hoping for beef brisket sandwich.
7248020B-2FD6-4F80-A7F3-8E8393847F38.jpeg

Sides: Mac & cheese just like you get at a church pot luck. Macaroni, cheddar cheese broiled to a brown top. The pasta was a little overcooked. Still pretty good. Brunswick stew - pork, crushed tomato/diced tomato, corn. Nice consistency, not too much juice or chunk. Just needed a bit more salt and pepper. A bit under flavored.
85F66F35-6062-486B-8C94-79588ED59A96.jpeg 00006D98-4581-4C47-9084-20CA59AED2C9.jpeg
All in all I thought it was ok, but not great. I’d try the ribs if in the area or the pork sammy with a different sauce, but I won’t drive there again.

Back
Top Bottom