• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Powder age

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I have a metal can of IMR 4198 powder with the price tag still on it. $15.95 now how's that for inflation. I am just wondering that it couldn't be that old. I bought it off the shelf in the metal can. Well more like a metal rectangular type can. I wonder if it hasn't been opened how long it's good for. I have read that it is a decent powder to try with the RMR 69gr. OTM bullets. Well I say that but they were using it for 69 gr. Sierra Match King bullets but a of the RMR users are using Sierra load data for the RMR pills. What say you? I am mainly speaking to you older gents that have been reloading since the time of brass cannons. 🤣 Being serious do you think it's still reliable?

Personally I have 30/06 bullets that I loaded around 85 that I still shoot. I have an 8 pound jug of one of the Accurate powders that I bought on sale for under $40 when they first came out, not much left but when I get set back up from moving I plan on using it. That said I had a much newer plastic bottle of Vihtavuori that turned itself into a brick sitting on the shelf. If in doubt load a few and try them.

Personally I have 30/06 bullets that I loaded around 85 that I still shoot. I have an 8 pound jug of one of the Accurate powders that I bought on sale for under $40 when they first came out, not much left but when I get set back up from moving I plan on using it. That said I had a much newer plastic bottle of Vihtavuori that turned itself into a brick sitting on the shelf. If in doubt load a few and try them.
I guess I just heard that! 👍 It's been stored in a cedar chest that has those desiccant bags all around it. So it's been a temperature controlled humidity controlled environment since it was purchased so that's not a big concern. Like you said it doesn't hurt to try a few.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the price tag was $15.95. I bought 3 lb of xbr8208 the other day and it was 55 bucks a pound. The cheapest powder on the shelf they had was $45 a pound. But I mean you can't argue with that because if you try to buy it online the hazmat fees just knock you off your feet!

Back
Top Bottom