• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pre or post lock revolvers?

Who equated milspec gunz with hand fitted old world style civie production gunz? Part of the "Milsped " requirement is parts interchangeability. Smith and Wesson pre-mim/lock? Nope.

How much are you willing to pay to fit a used barrel to a used frame on a revolver? If the gun is used to the point it needs a barrel, its collector value is nill. I doubt anyone is shooting RMs to destruction.

What ends up happening is a bubba job, because no one will pay the freight to do the work correctly on a gun worth several hundred bucks.
First of all the S&W 1917, Colt 1917, S&W M&P/Victory, the S&W Model 10, and the Ruger Service Six are, were, and always will be milspec revolvers. So your "Part of the "Milsped " requirement is parts interchangeability. Smith and Wesson pre-mim/lock? Nope." is as false a statement as your "Split a forcing cone on a nice M19, M66, or any pre lock K frame, and you have a useless hunk of metal, no barrels available at all." is. Here is a pic of me holding a S&W Model 10-5 issued to me by the U.S. Army. Every bit a milspec gun as anything that has come out of the CMP.

DJ and Pierre - Copy.jpg

Secondly I have exactly $500 in this Colt 1917, including a letter from Colt stating it was shipped the Commanding Officer at Springfield Armory, January 4, 1918. It is a proven milspec weapon that has had the barrel replaced, been refinished, the work done by ODT member Bryan Dobbs and the great craftsman at Dobbs Defense.....Hardly a Bubba Job and at this point well worth at least the $500 I have invested in it.

009 (2).JPG
017.JPG

At this point I am not even sure what point you are trying to make, other than any firearm that has been repaired by anyone other than the OEM using an OEM part fits you opinion, and at this point it in the thread it looks like your opinion alone , of an obsolete bubba gun. You are certainly entitled to any opinion you choose. I conceded that in post #43. But you are wasting oxygen trying to convince me that your opinion has value, especially with statements about S&W K frame barrel availability and S&W never producing a milspec revolver that are just not true.

Edit to add: My apologies to the U.S. Air Force for leaving out the S&W Model 15 and Model 13, which were issued to our Air Force brethren, in the list of milspec revolvers.

They all split the forcing cone? Man, you need to quit loading those 125 grain screamers, they are death on those things.

Neither one of those will ever have the dreaded "cracked forcing cone" that you are so proud of throwing at us Smiff guys. The snub nose is a 686-3...the nickel gun is a 5" 27-2. The barrel of a 27-2 is exactly the same except for bore as the one installed on a Model 29...which is a 44 mag. The forcing cone on the 27 is ridiculously thick...I can shoot all the 125's I want. But since my guns are worthless and obsolete...:rolleyes:

And believe it or not...I have an 4" barreled example of every Smiff K-frame made in 357 Mag. NONE of them have a cracked or split forcing cone. I have a snub nosed Model 19-5 that doesn't have the pin, a recessed cylinder - but does have the notched forcing cone. It fires full house 357's every time I take it to the range. It's forcing cone is just fine because I don't shoot full-house 125's through it. I stick to the 158 grain rounds...and it shoots just fine...and probably will shoot just fine when my grandkids and their kids are shooting it. Why? Because cracking a forcing cone is no where near as common as you make it out to be. But you are correct...the L-frame was developed to do away with the notch in the bottom of the barrel required on a K-frame, which is what weakens the forcing cone on a K-frame.

I thought we were talking about guns with locks vs. ones without? How did we get sidetracked into an "old Smiths are worthless and obsolete" discussion?

A revolver with hand fitted parts is like a fine Swiss timepiece. One with mass produced drop-in parts is like a walmart Timex. (A nice Timex, but a Timex, none the less.)

Man you are right on. The old Smith's with hand fitted parts are a definite step above anything produced these days. No doubt about it.

Back
Top Bottom