• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hammerless Snubby Revolvers

Yes cutting the spur off could cause some primer ignition problems. However there are fixes. You could possibly adjust the factory spring to make it drop the hammer harder. Or replace the hammer spring that is stronger. Also you can try different ammo to see what is consistent. You can load your own ammo and find the right primers that will be reliable. They are made different

Very valid point, however I carried a bobbed model 36 for years (nor spurless but bobbed) the law of 'diminishing returns' were never applicable after thousands of rounds, maybe it was the exception or maybe changing springs ever so often (sweat or habit) helped

Great point though...

Yes cutting the spur off could cause some primer ignition problems. However there are fixes. You could possibly adjust the factory spring to make it drop the hammer harder. Or replace the hammer spring that is stronger. Also you can try different ammo to see what is consistent. You can load your own ammo and find the right primers that will be reliable. They are made different

Both good points, and like I say, it's not a sure thing that bobbing a hammer WILL cause problems, just that it could.

For a range gun it's a non-issue, but I would think carefully on doing something like that to a self defense gun, and most snubbies are sold with an eye towards self-defense.

The problem with bobbing a hammer on a gun with a spur is that you can make it unreliable. You've decreased the mass of the hammer right where it's the most important, at the top of the arc.

That's fine if you just want a range toy, but probably not great for self defense.

Is this a problem with Smiths in particular?
Ever hear of a Colt being turned into a Fitz Special,
a custom job first done by a Colt gunsmith / factory armorer named Fitzgerald?
1708536562865.png

This is my ideal type of "hammerleass" small frame revolver.
It's really got a regular hammer that's fully shrouded, hence the odd
humpback look.

My dad had one, and my brother had one, and I had one (that I eventually gave to a girlfriend).

If these S&W model 638's would just come with a 2.75" - 3.4" barrel and much larger sights,
it would be my ideal small frame defensive carry revolver.

1708536810866.png

This is my ideal type of "hammerleass" small frame revolver.
It's really got a regular hammer that's fully shrouded, hence the odd
humpback look.

My dad had one, and my brother had one, and I had one (that I eventually gave to a girlfriend).

If these S&W model 638's would just come with a 2.75" - 3.4" barrel and much larger sights,
it would be my ideal small frame defensive carry revolver.

View attachment 6911915
Yep. And it still has a way to cock the hammer manually

Is this a problem with Smiths in particular?
Ever hear of a Colt being turned into a Fitz Special,
a custom job first done by a Colt gunsmith / factory armorer named Fitzgerald?
View attachment 6911899
Oh yeah, pretty famous... but who would carry one today?

In general, any hammer fired gun *can* be made unreliable by reducing the hammer weight. And as mentioned above you can compensate for it by changing springs and such around.

Also as mentioned above, most 'hammerless' guns have hammers, but they are shrouded *and* inaccessible. The Ruger LCR is this way, along with a bunch of Smiths and the original Kimber.

There's a good reason that the hammers in shrouded guns are typically inaccessible. There no way for you to cock the gun so the only way to fire it is with the long, heavy DAO trigger pull.

If you ever have to use the gun in self defense the prosecutor can't claim that you cocked the gun and it accidentally went off rather than being intentional (and legal) self defense. Back when cops carried revolvers there was a reason most were modified to be DAO.

Back
Top Bottom