• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PRIMER QUESTION

Putnambuck

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
Been reloading a while, only handgun calibers, now I'm about to start reloading a bunch of 223 to shoot in an AR.
I bought some Remington 6-1/2 small rifle primers after they were recommended by a guy that does a lot of reloading but after doing some research(which I should have done first), most everything I've been reading says not to use 6-1/2's because they're too soft and the firing pin might punch through.
Anyone recommend a good 223 primer for AR use?
Anyone have any thoughts on this or want to put your 2 cents in I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Just make sure that you load them with 223 data and not 5.56. Stay in the middle of the data.

I have never had a standard rifle primer pierced-using Federal Small Rifle.

BUT:

Every time an AR bolt slams closed, the fireing pin taps the new round’s primer and might set it off if the primer is too soft. This has happened to me once in several thousand rounds when I had not cleaned my AR after several hundred rounds were fired—the firing pin was very dirty.

I try to use CCI or Remington Small Rifle Magnum primers or the NATO CCI 41s mentioned above. They work better with ball powders.

Also, I would use a ball powder for .223. Extruded powders, especially IMR 4064 sometimes bridge at the case neck. I like CFE .223. Honestly, at current .223 prices I buy most of mine, and save loading for .243 and up rifle.

Back
Top Bottom