• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Project 1000 yard Starts!

RIDDLE

Default rank 5000+ posts
Stuff and Things
88   0
Reaction score
Well I picked up a Remington 5R .308 ( http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml ) today.
I also ordered a JAE-700 stock for it ( http://www.jallenenterprises.com/index.html ). It is going to take to until November to get it! That sucks!

Now my question for you long range shooters is WHAT SCOPE!? There are to many options. I would like to keep it at/under $1500 for the scope. I already have a Badger Ordinance base and rings.

Any help would appreciated!

Leupold Mark 4 with lighted mil dot. Proven, reliable, won't lose zero, and you can get the power variable you think most appropriate. You know mil dot is a must, and at 1000 yard distances optics quality really matters.

N

Also, to be really serious at this, pick a load or hand load, and stick with it. Practice with shorter distances and work your way to 1000.

Thanks for the advice! My friend/gunsmith is going to load the rounds for it for me. The same round he shoots in his M1A. It is a beast, JAE stock, broughton barrel, LRB receiver. It is what inspired this build.

Nightforce or US optics. NO experience but just options to look into.

Snipercentral and snipershide are great place for optic info

The guy that runs the class at the link below (cmshoot) does a 1000 yard class a couple of times a year. Wish he posted on here more, he post a lot of great long range shooting info on the other site.

As soon as my 10 yo can handle a full day of shooting 308's we'll be taking his class together. His scrawny little but just can't handle more than 10 or 15 rounds before he's ready to shoot pistols.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?31442-Basic-Precision-Rifle-Course-May-15-2011

here is some advice on loading. When you choose a load, hand loading is best. You need to extend the length of bullet down the chamber. This means you seat it further up the neck than normal. The goal is to come as close to possible in seating the the bullet almost in the rifling. This helps seat the bullet on a stable trajectory. Many shooters using clip fed rifles for the sporter 1000 yard shoot 243 out of 308 magazines because you can seat the bullet further into the rifling. stable loads and consistency is the best thing you can do to meet your consistency goals. Here is some of the ammo components that the Marine corps team uses. Hornady 142.2 grain boat tails. If you can get the loads to stay in this parameter 142.0 to 142.2 grains they hold more stable. Boat tails reduce drag, round wobble and provide less surface area for wind to blow them around. Remington high ignition primers and slow burn powder. A slow constant burn of the powder will produce your consistent velocities. Fast burning powder will produce inconsistent burns and can result in velocity spikes over 1k yards can result in round drift that you cannot compensate for.

Scope wise I say a split diopter sight pattern is the best. I used one at 600 yds shooting and HK770 with A Leupold wide view lens with low light shooting capabilities mounted on HK tactical quick release mounts. Helped give me an augmented view of the wind with out much shifting and use of the spotting scope. 600 yard class was a lot of fun and I always wanted to step up to 1k after reading and re-reading Marine Sniper.

Have fun shooting long distances it is a blast and if you want real fun shoot an open class against bench rest shooters on a steel plate match or prairie dog match. Those are a lot of fun especially against bench rest shooters.

Back
Top Bottom