• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Project 1000 yard Starts!

here is some advice on loading. When you choose a load, hand loading is best. You need to extend the length of bullet down the chamber. This means you seat it further up the neck than normal. The goal is to come as close to possible in seating the the bullet almost in the rifling. This helps seat the bullet on a stable trajectory. Many shooters using clip fed rifles for the sporter 1000 yard shoot 243 out of 308 magazines because you can seat the bullet further into the rifling. stable loads and consistency is the best thing you can do to meet your consistency goals. Here is some of the ammo components that the Marine corps team uses. Hornady 142.2 grain boat tails. If you can get the loads to stay in this parameter 142.0 to 142.2 grains they hold more stable. Boat tails reduce drag, round wobble and provide less surface area for wind to blow them around. Remington high ignition primers and slow burn powder. A slow constant burn of the powder will produce your consistent velocities. Fast burning powder will produce inconsistent burns and can result in velocity spikes over 1k yards can result in round drift that you cannot compensate for.

Scope wise I say a split diopter sight pattern is the best. I used one at 600 yds shooting and HK770 with A Leupold wide view lens with low light shooting capabilities mounted on HK tactical quick release mounts. Helped give me an augmented view of the wind with out much shifting and use of the spotting scope. 600 yard class was a lot of fun and I always wanted to step up to 1k after reading and re-reading Marine Sniper.

Have fun shooting long distances it is a blast and if you want real fun shoot an open class against bench rest shooters on a steel plate match or prairie dog match. Those are a lot of fun especially against bench rest shooters.

Man, I've got to ask where you're getting this info. As far as I can tell Hornady does not make a 142 grain .30 bullet. Even if they did, I don't think the Ballistic Coefficient would be high enough for it to be supersonic at 1000 yards out of a .308 Win.

Hornady does make a 140 grain with a high BC in 6.5mm. Could this be what the load info is for?

Last edited:
I grew up shooting precision .22's with peep sites and moved onto using optics later in life. Never underestimate the value of training with a 22! Breath and trigger control are extremely important when making precision shots regardless of caliber.

I think it is hard to beat a Leu MK 4 for the money however you will see some second focal plane Night Force scopes in your price range and they are exceptional scopes. I have also been pleased with my Burris Black Diamond 6-24 as watachie stated above. A total surprise has been the Bushnell Tactical series scopes. I have one on a heavy barreled AR and it is excellent especially when you consider the cost of the scope.

I am by no means an expert in LONG range shooting but I have been making steady progress this past year as I have begun to develop a relationship with my FN SPR. In this past year, I have read a ton, and shot quite a bit. I know there is no substitute for time behind the gun, but also you can be wasteful if you aren't training with a purpose and with match grade ammo costing nearly a $1 pr round the $$$ can add up. So when I shoot I normally warm up with the 22 and then move to the 308 when I feel that I am in the "groove". This helps me get the most out of every round I shoot. If I don't get in the groove, I don't even pull the "big gun" out of the case.

a few items I have purchased that helped me:
Good scope
Mil dot calculator
Laser Range finder
Quality Ammo--match grade (really tightened my groups)
Log book--created my own drop chart/scope dope chart for known yardages

Man, I've got to ask where you're getting this info. As far as I can tell Hornady does not make a 142 grain .30 bullet. Even if they did, I don't think the Ballistic Coefficient would be high enough for it to be supersonic at 1000 yards out of a .308 Win.

Hornady does make a 140 grain with a high BC in 6.5mm. Could this be what the load info is for?Searching the web and scouring notes i transcribed my information in the wrong sections of my shooting journal. it was notes for 6.5mm not .308

Oops I was reading the wrong part of my shooters journal. The load should be a 165 grain bullet from Sierra carries a high BC at 1000 yards. You can even step it up to 190 grain and keep a higher bc.
Cross referenced notes with this site to make sure they were accurate.
BC information for sierra
Sierra Factory BC tables

Thanks for all the info guys! I must say I am a little overwhelmed. I am going to have a retired Ranger Sniper doing all of my training. He is a great friend and I am lucky he wants to take the time with me.

Another Leupold fan here. The Mark 4 is incredible. With this being said even with the 5R, the stock, and the scope the biggest accuracy improvement you can make with equipment is gonna be to handload your own ammo. With the amount of $ you're gonna have in this rig not having a handloading setup would just be silly.

Oops I was reading the wrong part of my shooters journal. The load should be a 165 grain bullet from Sierra carries a high BC at 1000 yards. You can even step it up to 190 grain and keep a higher bc.
Cross referenced notes with this site to make sure they were accurate.
BC information for sierra
Sierra Factory BC tables

Another good bullet for 1000 yard from a 308 is the Berger 185 grain. They make three versions and any one of them will do. They have a very high BC and are very accurate. The 185 H-VLD is the one I use for 1000 yard.

Another Leupold fan here. The Mark 4 is incredible. With this being said even with the 5R, the stock, and the scope the biggest accuracy improvement you can make with equipment is gonna be to handload your own ammo. With the amount of $ you're gonna have in this rig not having a handloading setup would just be silly.

Oh yea, I won't be loading it but my friend will. He has been shooting 1000yrds for years and loading his own ammo.

Back
Top Bottom