• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Proof Meteorite Was Shot Down Over Russia

I think it actually was going somewhere between 33,000 and 40,000 mph.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/02/russian-meteor-size-speed-power-kilotons/

Considering that escape velocity of 28,000 is required to attain orbit, an entry speed of 40,000 mph is not at all unreasonable. And you can bet it made a sonic boom. Probably not as noticeable as the explosion, but it had to have one.

33k mph is twice the speed of a shuttle in orbit. When they are tracked with the naked eye they are fast and hard to pick up. Are you saying we would be able to record something going that fast with cellular tech?

I don't know. You sound.like you have experience in this so I thought id ask.

33k mph is twice the speed of a shuttle in orbit. When they are tracked with the naked eye they are fast and hard to pick up. Are you saying we would be able to record something going that fast with cellular tech?

I don't know. You sound.like you have experience in this so I thought id ask.

It is all a matter of perspective. That thing was probably quite a bit higher than it looks in the beginning. It also was decelerating very quickly. Not sure what angle it came at, but a steeper angle makes it look much slower. And these things can look very misleading from the ground. You could see the shuttle from re-entry. Visible from surprisingly far up.

Actually, I think the shuttle re-enters at similar speeds. It takes 28,000 mph to stay in orbit, I think.

Last edited:
Seriously guys, mph and km/h are seperate speeds. The Shuttle doesnt go 28,000 mph in orbit.

Good Grief!

OK KPH, then.

Point is that the guy in the previous post thought you couldn't even see an object going that fast. You could see the shuttle, and there is no reason that the meteor could not have been traveling 40,000 mph. It is all a matter of perspective.

(And that's right-I think it really could have entered at 40,000 MPH) Crazy, I know.....

Um, the speeds reported are accurate. Are you guys forgetting that it's a rock......on fire.....from air friction? These kinds of speed are normal for object in space. They only seem fast to us because that kind of speed in the atmosphere are almost impossible without an object being destroyed, which is exactly what happened to this meteor.

Ok. There is plenty of speculation here on Did they, If they could, and How they could. But what about WHY they would??? It would be some awesome bragging rights but thats all I can think of which is not enough to make sence.

Back
Top Bottom