• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for coin collectors/ silver experts

It seems pretty stupid to melt history and collectables for silver when there is plenty of bullion floating around. I would prefer to just let them sit in the safe and collect dust for a few more years before selling them to be melted.

Not a coin collector, but my mother had a massive set of Towle Old Master silverware. Melt was the best price we could get. Unless there is some collector value above and beyond the value of the metal, melt is what you will get.

I share your feelings, the silverware was a lifetime effort by my mother, and I paid my 2 brothers for their interest, and now it sits. I suppose when I pass, someone will sell it for the melt value. But economically the facts are the facts.

I go to a lot of auctions and run of the mill Sterling goes for melt, plate goes for nothing.

It's sad. I had 540 pieces of Frank Smith's Fiddle Thread pattern of 1902. When silver jumped to $40 an ounce in late 2011 I dumped the whole set to a buyer in LA. The melt value had so far exceeded the intrinsic value I couldn't justify keeping it. Sad.

See what they have sold for on eBay and price them that way. eBay and Paypal are going to get 20%.
I think you could get at least $15 each in bulk. Coin hoarders are an interesting breed. They want them CHEAP but they are usually willing to pay for them.

Back
Top Bottom