• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question for fanboys and mall ninjas

When my dad croaked, I took all the unreliable guns he owned--a Beretta Model 20, an Armalite AR-7, and other jamming, heinous crap--and left the really nice stuff for my little brother, who is far more accomplished and deserving. Whenever I clear a stovepipe from the Beretta or the AR-7 fires out of battery I can hear his voice...

When I die I intend to leave my collection of garbage plastic heirloom guns to my kids, provided they ever managed to get out of southeast asia and track me down

I would say plastic guns arent "Heirlooms" and I would go so far as to say most modern guns in general arent "Heirloom" guns. That doesn't mean they wont get handed down, but a nice polished blue Hi-power is more of an heirloom gun to me.
100% On Point right there. Glocks and I suppose all other poly frame guns aren't ever going to be heirloom guns. Not hating on them at all! But just going by the numbers of them produced they ain't what I'd call future collectables. They have their value for certain. I just see them as tools rather than heirloom estate type things.

100% On Point right there. Glocks and I suppose all other poly frame guns aren't ever going to be heirloom guns. Not hating on them at all! But just going by the numbers of them produced they ain't what I'd call future collectables. They have their value for certain. I just see them as tools rather than heirloom estate type things.
I feel as if heirlooms are a thing of the past, and i especially feel the values of the younger generation are rapidly changing. I dont think people will care much about hand me down stuff. The latest and greatest is the way of the future.

I've got items that I own that belonged to my Grandfather than ain't worth squat, but they are priceless to me in terms of sentimental value. I wouldn't trade a 100 year old, highly engraved, German drilling for his busted up, doesn't run, Masonic temple watch. To me, that's an heirloom.

I like plastic and anodized guns, I have very few blue and wood guns.

I'd like to think my kids would cherish the memories of assembling the ars with me and the hours we spend shooting and reloading more than the metal I leave behind.

Everything I have is a tool that's meant to be used, drug thru the woods in the rain, dropped from the four wheeler etc. I left my larue on the four wheeler over night by accident this season, when I came out the next morning to head to the stand it was covered in dew. I wiped it off and headed to the stand without worrying about wood swelling or the internals getting rusty.

Both my boys took their first deer with an ar. They enjoy levers and bolts but they would rather shoot ars.

I can't imagining I would enjoy investing in something that I just look at, that's what museums are for;)

I'm not going to take the time to read the hundred plus post in this thread. I like revolvers with wood grips, I like stainless steel and I like blued. I like all steel semi- automatic pistols, and I like mil surplus. My everyday carry is a Glock because it will go bang every time and I won't cry if the police take it in a justifiable self defense shooting. My glock is one of the few guns I don't give a crap about and that's why I carry it.
And I paid tree fiddy for it.

I'm not going to take the time to read the hundred plus post in this thread. I like revolvers with wood grips, I like stainless steel and I like blued. I like all steel semi- automatic pistols, and I like mil surplus. My everyday carry is a Glock because it will go bang every time and I won't cry if the police take it in a justifiable self defense shooting. My glock is one of the few guns I don't give a crap about and that's why I carry it.

Ken Hackathorn has a couple of good Glock quotes.

"If you treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower; get a Glock"

"Glock is the only gun that comes right out of the box with absolutely no pride in ownership"

Hack is a Glock proponent, by the way. I don't know if it still is, but for the longest time is bedside table gun was a G34 with light.

Back
Top Bottom