• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question For Hunters

I’m lucky I guess when I was young my dad showed me how to do the whole process down to cutting all the meat and throwing it on ice. All while in the woods. Country boy can survive ****ers. Tell them city boys to YouTube or google it LOL that’s what they do!

I met a city dweller on fort gordon. He shot the smallest 4 point I have ever seen then had to youtube how to drag it out. At least he was out there doin it. It was his first but I bet it wasn't his last.

I met a city dweller on fort gordon. He shot the smallest 4 point I have ever seen then had to youtube how to drag it out. At least he was out there doin it. It was his first but I bet it wasn't his last.

Hopefully he didn’t give up on the sport. But I’ll be honest with you, I quit gutting an cutting deer 9 years ago. I’ll drag em to the four wheeler, haul em to the truck, processor bound after that! I’m lazy I know!

I get that though, you gotta start somewhere. It was his first deer, but the fellers I’m talking about have killed several deer. I didn’t gut my first deer but I watched my cousin do it and gutted my next one myself

Takes 2 minutes after practicing. Both my boys were gutting their own after a year or two. Cools body cavity quickly. I skin, quarter, and process my own. Can make sausage, ground, cubed....etc. And I KNOW how the meat was handled, allowed to blooddrain, and cured. Processors are an assembly line, you may get Bubba deer that was carted on a tailgate for 6 hours with the guts still in. Been hunting a long time. Doing your own is a labor of love....and safety.
20181122_172827.jpg

Takes 2 minutes after practicing. Both my boys were gutting their own after a year or two. Cools body cavity quickly. I skin, quarter, and process my own. Can make sausage, ground, cubed....etc. And I KNOW how the meat was handled, allowed to blooddrain, and cured. Processors are an assembly line, you may get Bubba deer that was carted on a tailgate for 6 hours with the guts still in. Been hunting a long time. Doing your own is a labor of love....and safety.View attachment 2246270
I love it, how you just cut to chest cavity. I’ve seen some people that cut all the way up and through the chest cavity and that was a helluva shot.

I’m lucky I guess when I was young my dad showed me how to do the whole process down to cutting all the meat and throwing it on ice. All while in the woods. Country boy can survive ****ers. Tell them city boys to YouTube or google it LOL that’s what they do!

This is how I learned. We were blessed to have our Dads show us what to do, and in my case, my Dad made me do it when I shot a deer. Since I was a teenager I haven't given it a second thought. It's just part of it. I can gut one out in less than 5 minutes...Probably less than 2 minutes.

If a guy did not have a Dad or someone else show them, I can understand.

Back
Top Bottom