• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question For Hunters

Stort of the story.....everyone needs a mentor to show them the ropes. Sure it can be done by yourself but its safer and better if someone guides you. I have seen alot of comments about people shouldnt go hunting if they dont know how to gut a deer. No one knows thier first time. Gitta start somewhere. And we as a hunting community need to do a better job of mentoring not complaining that someone doesnt know how to gut a deer.
I agree I’m not complaining, I showed them. So now they know, but like you said they have to start somewhere and I know they all have killed deer before and it just blew my mind that they didn’t know how. So I was seeing if this had happen to anyone else.

I agree I’m not complaining, I showed them. So now they know, but like you said they have to start somewhere and I know they all have killed deer before and it just blew my mind that they didn’t know how. So I was seeing if this had happen to anyone else.

i know you’re not complaining.
it’s like a guitar player that takes his guitar to the shop to have someone else put new strings on.

I don’t know how often this happens, but I know it has happened 3 separate times to me. You go hunting with one of your buddies and you know they have killed several deer before. But they kill one and don’t know how to gut it or anything. Two of the guys actually admitted that they didn’t know how. The other guy wanted to drag the deer 3/4 of a mile and not gut it, just so he didn’t have to admit it. I don’t mind showing people how, but it just makes you wonder what would they do if they were by themselves. Has this happen to anyone else?

You ever read "Tom Sawyer"

If I thought I could get you to gut it, I wouldn't admit to knowing how either.

I don’t know how often this happens, but I know it has happened 3 separate times to me. You go hunting with one of your buddies and you know they have killed several deer before. But they kill one and don’t know how to gut it or anything. Two of the guys actually admitted that they didn’t know how. The other guy wanted to drag the deer 3/4 of a mile and not gut it, just so he didn’t have to admit it. I don’t mind showing people how, but it just makes you wonder what would they do if they were by themselves. Has this happen to anyone else?

I go from the bang to the plate. Don't field dress. My stands are usually accessible by 4 wheeler or gator. I skin and take off the shoulders, backstab, tenderloins and debone the hams without gutting. The meat is put in ice chests with ice and drained daily. I have my own cuber and grinder. Bass Pro or Cabelas can help you with that. Not gonna pay someone for something I can do. I dont mind helping someone else that knows nothing about skinning/processing their deer. Everybody's got to learn sometime.

Back
Top Bottom