• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question From The Wife

My wife and I now have an understanding. I don't ask about her shopping/gambling trips, and she doesn't ask about my guns. The only thing she ever balked at were my O/U purchases. I sold a few for a healthy profit, and she never questioned it again.

Luckily my wife is right in the thick of it with me and usually calls dibs on first shots any time I bring a new one home, then runs to the ammo locker to grab food and load it up.

She's generally my biggest obstacle before I list anything on here. She'll take me down memory lane about how long I looked for it, how much I enjoy shooting it, etc. She has only put her foot down on one rather firmly and that's my Barrett Model 99. I'm still toying with the idea of listing it, but I fear she'd stab me if I let it go without her ever getting a chance to fire it. 🤣

I've definitely done a few waves of selective thinning though. Makes room for new things and helps me to dedicate more time to otherwise neglected stuff. I can't stand having stuff around that goes unused. Similar to placing all shirts in the closet with open side of hanger facing outward every New Year, then flipping direction on stuff I wear as the year goes by. Any hangers still facing outward come the next New Year get donated.

Don't feel bad if you feel the need to clear up some room. My collection is like my little bonsai tree. Gotta trim a little here and there to keep it growing healthy. 😁

She's playing head games with you, making you doubt yourself. Now go have her pull of her shoes or clothes out of the closet and do the same thing :lol:

That "I don't even remember that one" hits home too. That's when I start talking about oh yeah remember I traded such and such for that one. :lol:

I was getting the small safe straightened out the other day and had it all layed out on the bed. Moving a couple to the big safe. Wife casually walks by and says "Why do you even have all those? When are you going to use that one, or this one? I don't even remember that one." I start going over it with her...which one has what purpose, but it made me think a bit on a few of them. Don't get me wrong, I like all of em, but how many 7.62x39's do you keep? 5.56's? 9's? 45's? 12's? 20's? Anybody else ever have a momentary lapse of reason? Or unreason as it were?

Stock photo only: Not posting mine
View attachment 5821514
It's a sickness.You are a hoarder.

I ponder this often. I have around 40 or so guns in my safe. I made the same arguments, where this one has X purpose, and that one has Y purpose, etc...

The reality is that for 80% of them, all those "purposes" are just the justifications I used, but in the end I just wanted them.

How many are we ever really likely to use regularly, or "need".
At the end of the day, I need a couple carry guns for when I have to dress certain ways and need more or less concealment... A shotgun or two and a rifle or two for hunting or defense... Maybe a 22 rifle or pistol for cheap plinking, and an AR15 in case SHTF.

If I had to be honest with myself and whittle my collection down to what one might reasonably be expect to NEED in their lifetime, I could get it to maybe 7 guns...

Back
Top Bottom