• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question regarding selling or trading with Active Duty Military?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I searched the BATFE website and could not find the section regarding sales of firearms between unlicensed persons and an active duty military person. ATF has changed their website and actually made it harder to find the information.

As I understand the law a Georgia unlicensed person can sell to an active duty person stationed in Georgia. He may not be a resident but as long as he is PCS to Georgia it is legal.

Does anyone know where that section of the law is written?

Guy claims to be active duty and has a Georgia Drivers License. Wish ATF had not changed their site.

Guy claims to be active duty and has a Georgia Drivers License. Wish ATF had not changed their site.

A GA DL gives proof that he is a resident of GA. Ask to see military ID if you are still concerned. If you are still concerned after that, don't do the deal.

Ignore Bonecollector. He's spouting off nonsense. The internet is full of that kind of pollution.

As you know, TestDepth, federal law restricts even law-abiding citizens from obtaining guns in states other than their own state of residence, with some exceptions. And the definition of "your state of residence" is somewhat flexible, too, for military folks.

You wanted a citation for the law that says you can sell to a person from some other state who's permanently stationed in GA on military assignment, right?

ATF's web page on this topic, last "reviewed" in 2015.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-constitutes-residency-state

At the bottom of the answer, it gives citations to two sections of the U.S. Code, and one cite to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

I'd look at those citations if you want to be sure.

the "local Sheriff's office" is not a good place to go to with a question about the fine points of federal gun laws.

I might trust their answer on a different gun-related question, such as being a felon in possession of a gun, or local ordinances on shooting on private property, but not about the federal laws on selling firearms in interstate commerce.

Back
Top Bottom