• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

questions for you OTF knife experts

no clever name

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
172   0
Reaction score
My son has asked for a good OTF knife for Christmas. He already has a cheap schrade OTF we got at the bladeshow but he wants one that will open and retract like the benchmades or microtechs we saw at the show. As long as he keeps his grades up and helps out around the house I'll get it for him.

I know very little about OTF knives, so my questions are what do I look for to get a quality knife that will handle the use and abuse that a teenager will inflict on it and continue to function, is the top mounted button better or have some advantage over the side mounted button, which models can be taken apart to be cleaned cause it will get nasty, any particular brand or style considered to be stronger than others? Anything else beside these questions I need to look out for? Don't want to spend more than 300 bucks and used is ok as long as it's in good shape.

Hey Clever. I think it's awesome of you to trust and teach your son to have an OTF.
I don't know about expert, but I carry one most week days.
I personally favor the top slide button. It requires a little more pressure and a conscious decision to deply.

I don't like Benchmade myself, but you can't deny their quality and customer service.
I carry a Microtech as mine. Zero Zero Zero issues with it and the quality is evident.

But it I just made an order for a new one from Ravenquest. This is an OTF maker made in AZ with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
It has many features and characteristics that resemble the MT's but for half the price.
I have met the owner a few times and worked the action on a few blades at 2 different national shows. They fire solid and the safety is true.

Again, lifetime warranty.

Go go to their site and at least check them out. Believe me, they feel very solid. Not a Taiwan knock off.

Good of luck and let me know how your search goes.

http://ravencresttactical.com

Hey Clever. I think it's awesome of you to trust and teach your son to have an OTF.
I don't know about expert, but I carry one most week days.
I personally favor the top slide button. It requires a little more pressure and a conscious decision to deply.

I don't like Benchmade myself, but you can't deny their quality and customer service.
I carry a Microtech as mine. Zero Zero Zero issues with it and the quality is evident.

But it I just made an order for a new one from Ravenquest. This is an OTF maker made in AZ with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
It has many features and characteristics that resemble the MT's but for half the price.
I have met the owner a few times and worked the action on a few blades at 2 different national shows. They fire solid and the safety is true.

Again, lifetime warranty.

Go go to their site and at least check them out. Believe me, they feel very solid. Not a Taiwan knock off.

Good of luck and let me know how your search goes.

http://ravencresttactical.com

Wow, thanks for this. Iv been wanting a MT Combat Troodon but couldnt afford the price tag. Did the design your own feature on their website and made one very very similar.

Thanks for the info klark, I've found that he needs a carrot to motivate him to keep his grades up and he likes knives so this is cheaper than tutors and me constantly standing watch over him. If cobalt finally found his way to the post office I'll get the bone collector he had listed as a present for him making all A's on his first high school report card.

What about cleaning them to keep the action going? Those ravencrest knives look pretty good but most of them are out of stock, is that one of those sites you have to check every day to see what is available?

Thanks again

A little squirt of gun oil on the blade and a can of compressed air and you are good. I do not
recommend taking them apart. You can also ask the maker their recommendations to PM.

Yes. Many are out, but some are avail. Most OTF's are about the same.
With Benchy and MT, you have the option to look for extra distributors, but it seems Ravencrest aren't big enough for distribution yet.

Whatever you do, good luck.

A little squirt of gun oil on the blade and a can of compressed air and you are good. I do not
recommend taking them apart. You can also ask the maker their recommendations to PM.

Yes. Many are out, but some are avail. Most OTF's are about the same.
With Benchy and MT, you have the option to look for extra distributors, but it seems Ravencrest aren't big enough for distribution yet.

Whatever you do, good luck.

This!

The Infidels have a hole where the pocket clip is so, you can blow duster or whatever in there. I dab a small amount of oil on the tang and that's it. Keep em clean and free of fingerprints(oil).

I haven't had a chance to try one of the Ravencrest ones that Klark mentioned but, I've never had a single issue with any of the Microtechs I have owned.

I have had a Microtech Combat Troodon, Troodon, and a few ultratechs. The troodon and the Ultratech were the best size, IMO.

Best way to clean an OTF when sluggish or non-functioning is a healthy amount of zippo lighter fluid into the handle with blade retracted, let sit a few seconds then put your finger over the slot and shake the **** out of it, fire several times upside and then fire and wipe blade repeatedly. If I put any oil at all it's an EXTREMELY light coat. People will tell you OTFs are not working knives but I have run on hard for two years and never been disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom