• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quick review on Mountain House dehydrated food

Billrube

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
128   0
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase some #10 cans of various freeze dried stuff...I want to try as much as I can before plunging into a purchase of stuff we don't like.
Wally world has got the camping size packs and I've tried 3 kinds so far.
First up is Lasagna with Meat Sauce. I shook it a little bit before adding the boiling water just to make sure there were no clumps. I added the water and in the allotted time I opened it up and gave it a stir. Surprisingly, it was really cheesy and the noodles and beef had the consistency of noodles and beef. It's not homemade by any standard but was thicker than I anticipated. The taste was really good--it tasted italian. It was not spicy-sort of bland but tasted fresh. On a scale of one to ten, I'd say overall 7.5.

The next one was Chili Mac with beef. This one was really good, with a good chili taste but again, not spicy. If I had a little more chili powder or pepper to add, it would really been off the chain. The wife and mo-in-law even liked this one. (This was the only one they tried) It's better than the hamburger helper chili mac by a long shot. this one rates an "8"

The last one is Spaghetti with meat sauce. the first thing I noticed was the noodles. they were cut short-about an inch or inch and half. Plenty of meet and smelled "italiany" before adding the boiling water. I added the correct amount of boiling water and let it re-hydrate. I noted when opening the hot finished product was it was a little thinner than the lasagna. I opted to poor it into a bowl for eating.
it resembled chef-boy-ardee type sauce but any other resemblance to chef-boy stops there. It had a good italian taste, the beef was "real" and had normal beef consistancy. Again it was not 'overly' spicy but had a solid almost home made taste.
I'd give it a "8".

I am trying to keep in mind what these meals are intended for. In the event of a social "interruption" or disaster these are good options for hot meals, provided water is not an issue.
The great thing about the #10 cans is that the store for up to 25years. The pouches are good for 7 years.

Anyway...I'll add other reviews as I try new flavors...next time I'll try to get pics...

I've heard their Beef Stroganoff is off the chain, and i heard the Blueberry Granola Breakfast is awesome. Just what some guys said when when they ate them on our survival trip 2 weeks ago.

All the ones you listed so far are good. The beef stroganoff is really good.
I would avoid the jamaican style chicken with rice though. I tried that
on our trip and immediately knew I wasn't eating that crap.

Most of the MH stuff is good but you will find a few bads along the way.
Keep trying the camp sizes and make a list before you buy the #10 cans.
Alot of money could be wasted on something you won't eat.

I just got in a couple of cases of montainhouse entrees through nitropak.com...I'm glad Jeff posted this report...I was sure hoping it was going to be eatable! LOL! Has anybody tried the bacon & eggs yet?

I just got in a couple of cases of montainhouse entrees through nitropak.com...I'm glad Jeff posted this report...I was sure hoping it was going to be eatable! LOL! Has anybody tried the bacon & eggs yet?

Bacon and eggs is awesome IMHO. Beef stew will always be my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom