• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommend a reloading manual

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I have a $50 Amazon gift card. Lyman or Hornady or something else? Any piece of equipment I should get that most reloading kits don't come with, or don't come with a good one?

I don't reload but have thought about giving it a try.

Lyman gives you a variety. Hodgdon, Alliant and others have free downloadable manuals (Most powder companies) and some bullet manufacturers. They update fairly regularly. If you want to buy (other than lyman) go with the bullet manufacturer you will use the most

Go to a gun store and ask for any free loading data from the factories that they put out and then compare with what is listed in BARNES, NOSLER, SIERRA, hard back cover manuals. Only a suggestion....

There are two things you need: instructions, and data. Some data's free from the powder companies and bullet companies on the web (most have it). Also free booklets at most gun stores. (Not big-box.) You should pick all those up. However: you still need instructions. Buy the Lyman book for that. That was the advice I was given 20 years ago, and I still think it's sound. (I'm on my third generation of Lyman books since then...)

The Lyman book gives good solid advice on getting started, as well as an up-to-date and extensive set of data. I see someone mentioned "The ABCs of Reloading". I'm unfamiliar with that; I may have to pick it up. More guides are always better-- there's a lot to know, and multiple ways to solve particular problems.

For specific circumstances, there are some other books to get. For example, if you shoot Barnes bullets, you will need the Barnes manual-- the data is specific for their bullets and yes, it's radically different than for other bullets. Berger's new book is good-- if you shoot Berger bullets and/or wildcat target rounds. And "Any Shot You Want" is the bible for true big bores.

There are also some caliber specific "load books" that you can get through Midway and so forth. They collect all the data on say .308 Win, from all the various sources. If you're only loading a few cartridges, they're worth considering-- but much of their compiled data is on the factory web sites these days.

You won't regret buying the Lyman book in any case.

Last edited:
If I was going for an Actual Manual, # 1 Data manual choice would be Lyman. Reason being they usually list better data for Cast Lead Bullets. #1 to get started ABC's of Reloading my opinion gives you the Best Entry level, learning how to reload, infomation.

Handloads.com has the greatest amount of load data and you can filter out stuff you don't want or need. Most new dies have a set of instructions on how to set up your dies. I second the notion of getting a cheap Manuel or borrow a friends. Watch a friend do it best way to learn. Fifty bucks can buy a lot if equipment that you use everytime. If you need any questions send a pm.

Back
Top Bottom