• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for a new air rifle

Paynefree

Default rank 5000+ posts
Aint no calling for 1 legged ninja
326   0
Reaction score
Looking at upgrading to an air rifle and having a little fun for myself while doing that. There’s quite a few options out there and want some good and bad feedback from some of you guys and gals before I buy. Fire away..just don’t aim for the eyes..

Links for good deals you’ve found are requested as well. thanks.

A lot depends on your intended use. One that you plan to hog hunt with is probably a different gun than one that is going to be used in a suburban back yard to dispatch a chipmunk. What is your price range? I have seen some well over $1000. I am no expert, but to me it looks like the PCP, pre-charged pneumatic, is the king of the hill. They make them where you can adjust the power level. Here is a 50 caliber capable of over 800 ft-lbs of energy - That puff of fur was once a chipmunk.

https://www.airforceairguns.com/product-p/u205034.htm

I bought a Gamo a couple weeks ago. I like it. Cheap scope so didn’t even put it on. This is my second one. No complaints. I was going to get a Hatsan but the one I wanted was out of stock everywhere. Bought this just so I could shoot something without burning thru ammo that is hard to find and expensive. If you google like I did you will probably be shocked. There are air rifles out there over $2k.

I want to get an air rifle too, for backyard plinking and practicing holding steady aim from the unsupported standing position.
I don't need a lot of velocity, but I would like decent accuracy, maybe to get sub-inch groups at 20 yards if I fired it from a bench, across sandbags, with a scope.
What I'm wondering is if a ten-pump pneumatic like Daisy or Crosman are famous for would work,
instead of a break-barrel spring piston air rifle.

Daisy's 880 Powerline gets good reviews, and only costs about $40, or if it comes in a full kit with a scope, some ammo, and safety glasses, maybe $50.

I used to have an RWS Diana model 36, made in West Germany (not China), and it was a very high quality gun. Expensive, too, back in its day. But I don't want to replace it with something similar, due to the high cost (the RWS model 34 is similar, and it's still on the market.)

I would recommend staying subsonic both for noise and accuracy. Things get funny after you go transonic. I also like a .22 cal for most small game. I have a variety from the old school Daisy to a Gamo .177 break barrel to a nice Diana side cooking. 22 and its my favorite. The air spring guns can be pretty cool and there's no spring to take a set.

I want to get an air rifle too, for backyard plinking and practicing holding steady aim from the unsupported standing position.
I don't need a lot of velocity, but I would like decent accuracy, maybe to get sub-inch groups at 20 yards if I fired it from a bench, across sandbags, with a scope.
What I'm wondering is if a ten-pump pneumatic like Daisy or Crosman are famous for would work,
instead of a break-barrel spring piston air rifle.

Daisy's 880 Powerline gets good reviews, and only costs about $40, or if it comes in a full kit with a scope, some ammo, and safety glasses, maybe $50.

Daisy 853 from The CMP. About $120 plus shipping, or drive on down to Anniston and pick it out yourself.

Single pump pneumatic, about 500 fps, really nice click adjustable sights. Already comes setup for a USGI sling so you can shoot "slung up". It is a target air rifle, and mine is very repeatable. May be difficult to put a scope on, though. Daisy still supports it with spare parts.

I picked up a Gamo Big Cat off the ODT 5 or 6 years ago and it has been a tree rat killing machine since day 1. I have learned the Gamo Hunter or Gamo Powerpoint Ammo is deadly accurate. The cheap Daisy stuff not so much at any distance.

I've dealt with these guys before. They are really nice folks and very knowledgeable compared to some of the big boys like Pyramid.

Take a look at the FX models if you want something fairly high-end. Hatsun makes some good stuff as well, and is much more reasonable.

https://utahairguns.com/

I use a crosman quest 1000x with a Simmons Blazer 3x9x50 scope and it is deadly with Gamo Raptor gold pellets. Tree Rat and Chippy killer! Think I paid $129.

Back
Top Bottom