• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for Medium Duty Chain Saw?

The ODT is one of the best places to find out what works and what doesn't. Looking to buy a decent chainsaw $300 +/- budget with 16 or 18 inch bar to help in the disaster relief here in Albany. What are the merits of the Stihl saws that have the windup chain tensioner? Any brands to focus on or stay away? Thanks.

Stay away from the wind yo clutch covers.

Just for ease of parts & service shops alone, I'd go with Stihl: everyone will have the common everyday items to get you back running, or service it when needed.

It's hard to beat a Stihl 025/MS250/MS251 with the 2 bar nut clutch cover for what you are talking about.

.325"x 16" Stihl E Bar & Chain.
Pick up 2 spare chains & a file set: stihl offers a file guide that does very well.

I recommend picking up the following book: I used to think I knew what was right & what was wrong, but the simple principles in this book have helped me exponentially.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1260

Do yourself & your loved ones a favor & Buy the following:

1. A pair of Forester Chaps.
2. Hard Hat
3. Eyewear
4. Hearing protection,

All this Can all be had for less than $150. 1 trip to the ER would pay for that & then some.

If you want to buy new, Home Depot sells an Echo 490 that will be hard to beat, but you won't have the luxury of being able to talk to a service person when you need one down the road unless you find a local Echo dealer.

There is a guy that lives near Forsyth who sells saws on Craigslist. I know him Personally, & he is a great guy. He buys used saws & fixes them. When he sells a saw, it's right.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/grd/5951465483.html

I'd go with the 025/MS250, & I would try to get one from him.

If that's all you're using it for, I'd get a used Stihl because it will hold it's value in case you decide to sell it. I have a Stihl Farm Boss and an older O18C with a 14" blade that is a hoss. It has the thumb wheel chain tension, which is what I assume you are talking about it, and it's easy to use and sturdy.

Any local dealer should have good used chain saws. I'd avoid big box chainsaws, unless you're sure this is just a one time use.

STIHL has the best customer service/parts with dealers all over.

I have used em for tree service and timber walls for 30 yrs and just keep going with stihl. Husky or stihl would be a good choice ,they are both good saws.

Stihl has better support than Husky. Both are basically equal when compared apples to apples.
In a former life I spent 20+/- years in that industry, sold and serviced both.

Side tension is nice, no tools needed. A plain side cover is much cheaper to replace and no parts to break.

Side note, dont buy cheap premix.
Only use Stihl, Husky, or Echo oil, they can be used interchangeably. All 3 have spent big bucks on R&D when it comes to oil.
Stick with 93 octane fuel, at 12-15k rpms 87 octane dont cut it.

Another side note, don't forget safety equipment.

I'm bad about not using it around the house where it's more of a known and controlled situation, but you run into all sorts of crazy stuff and situations doing those storm cleanups so I always have it nearby.

Like others have said Sthil is probably the safest way to go, I like Husky, but own and am happy with both. Buy used if you need to, but buying a cheap saw will only piss you off and get nothing done. For storm clean up a set of chaps should be a MUST. If you're not used to cutting trees under pressure you won't have to worry about cutting many, but the bent bar or hospital bill will do you in.
Good luck and be careful, you can't help others if you're bleeding yourself.

I guess I missed part of the original post.
I would say stay away from the wind up start. A friend bought one of those and the 2nd or 3rd time he used it, he pulled the rope a few times to wind it up and hit start and nothing happened. He sat it down and was going to go grab the manual for it and it started on it on about the time he stood up. That could have turned out bad

All Very Good Info.

I Never Knew there were so many chainsaw enthusiasts here; you know, I think there are sites for those types...

Yeah I've seen that one. Looked like a gimmick to me, but I never really looked into that much.

As long as you don't try to start it like a regular saw, it's actually not bad.

GPaw wanted something he could do small trimming around the farm with, (when we aren't there to help him), & we picked up a Stihl MS180C.

It's perfect for that application.

Some climbers are starting to use them as an economical alternative to the top handle pro saws.

I watched several filing videos and will probably just buy a second chain and let the dealer resharpen them. They charge $10 which is reasonable. I bought the saw to help with the storm debris and to cut firewood in the fall.

Please Learn what a Barber Chair is & how to avid it: it is serious business.

This guy is lucky: it's worth reading.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-cutting-trees-down-or-are-just-bored.305842/

This is why BC Timber Felling is one of the most dangerous jobs on Earth: people don't realize it, but the small trees are just as bad, especially poplar, & even more so wind blowns.

This stuff is all over YouTube: search Barberchair Tree next time you get a chance.

Stay Safe, & Always cut with someone else.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I live in the albany ga area and this is a tree that was down in my yard from the first storm three weeks ago, I cut all the limbs off with a works 8" electric saw and never sharpened the chain nor did it ever fell to start. Lol. Light as all get out too. Walmart complete with 10' pole attachment all for $97

Cooter.

Stay away from the wind yo clutch covers.

Just for ease of parts & service shops alone, I'd go with Stihl: everyone will have the common everyday items to get you back running, or service it when needed.

It's hard to beat a Stihl 025/MS250/MS251 with the 2 bar nut clutch cover for what you are talking about.

.325"x 16" Stihl E Bar & Chain.
Pick up 2 spare chains & a file set: stihl offers a file guide that does very well.

I recommend picking up the following book: I used to think I knew what was right & what was wrong, but the simple principles in this book have helped me exponentially.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1260

Do yourself & your loved ones a favor & Buy the following:

1. A pair of Forester Chaps.
2. Hard Hat
3. Eyewear
4. Hearing protection,

All this Can all be had for less than $150. 1 trip to the ER would pay for that & then some.

If you want to buy new, Home Depot sells an Echo 490 that will be hard to beat, but you won't have the luxury of being able to talk to a service person when you need one down the road unless you find a local Echo dealer.

There is a guy that lives near Forsyth who sells saws on Craigslist. I know him Personally, & he is a great guy. He buys used saws & fixes them. When he sells a saw, it's right.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/grd/5951465483.html

I'd go with the 025/MS250, & I would try to get one from him.

I told ya'll. Mother ****er reads books about chainsaws!

Back
Top Bottom