• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommendations for Medium Duty Chain Saw?

I watched several filing videos and will probably just buy a second chain and let the dealer resharpen them. They charge $10 which is reasonable. I bought the saw to help with the storm debris and to cut firewood in the fall.

I watched several filing videos and will probably just buy a second chain and let the dealer resharpen them. They charge $10 which is reasonable. I bought the saw to help with the storm debris and to cut firewood in the fall.

meh,might as well learn it,part of regular maintenance and isnt
hard to do after a little practice. save you alot of time and
money in the long run

I've tried using files and little jigs, twice, to sharpen my own chain (you also need to file down the depth limiting bumps, just the right amount. Too little, and it won't cut. Too much, and it digs in and binds.)

My brother has a bench-mounted chainsaw sharpener / grinder that has an electric motor. He does his own, but he does several per year, and thus he doesn't forget how. I go through one chain sharpening every year to 18 months, so I just let the local chainsaw shop do it. I think it was $7 last time I had it done.

P.S. Do buy a second chain. That way you can swap chains in the field and keep cutting, if one hits the ground or just gets dull from normal use on wood.

I lost a few limbs and have a tree up in north GA that needs to be taken out (it's down). Talked to a few folks and looked around online. I ended up with the Echo CS590. I looked at Stihl Farmboss as well but had $150 credit at HD so the 590 came home with me. So far it's overkill for what I needed to do, but from what I've read it's a durable option that's a nice step up from most of the junk out there at the big box stores. I will only run ethanol free in it and I have plenty of stihl oil from my blower.

where's a good place to get good PPE?

IMG_4767.JPG
I was shooting in the woods the other day when the forest service and firefighters came by with axes and chainsaws.
They were going to deal with a wildfire a mile or so in front of me.

*** the chainsaws they carried were Stihl***

Anyhow, I packed up in a hurry and evacuated like they told me to.

I am ticked off that in my rush to go, I left the half empty box of 9mm tracers and a pack of whistling moon travelers (with report) on the ground.

As an update, the Albany Disaster Relief has a FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/DoCoEMA/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

The community page is here: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=albany ga storm/tornado recovery 2017 help page
I've never been able to scroll to the end. There are some posted videos of the damage and a video of two "volunteers" doing a high wire act trimming a damaged tree. A local full service gas station collected donations from auto part suppliers to purchase 24 Farm & Ranch and commercial grade Stihl saws with 18" bars and above for volunteers to use along with safety equipment.

On Sunday I worked with my church through the Dougherty County EMA office. We had to register including signing a liability waiver before receiving group assignments. Spent the morning and afternoon sawing and removing debris. My Stihl 251C worked very well and I'm glad to have spent a bit more to get it. The saw has an improved suspension system and absorbs much of the vibration. The dealer called it a "Floppy Saw". It worked well for me and is so easy to start saving my shoulder. It's running on Stihl's Motomix fuel with 93 octane; and when that's gone, I'll switch to the VP Fuels non-ethanol mix at 95 octane and save $10. Bought an extra chain yesterday and a plastic wedge to help cut the larger logs. And, I always wear chaps, safety glasses, tactile gloves, and a helmet system for safety. There is a tremendous amount of work to be done which may take more than a few years to remediate. So if any of you or your churches want to do community projects, please consider Albany and the surrounding area. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom