• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Recommended "set-up" for AR/ M4 rifles

I like the regular MOE, not the CTR (although I don't have a problem with the CTR). My M4's aren't Sniper rifles, the stock wiggle doesn't bother me a bit. Once I have it shouldered, I've never noticed the wiggle.

I don't attach my slings to the stock, I attach them to the rear of the receiver, so the lack of attachment points isn't an issue for me.

I really like the idea of having the sling forward of the stock.
I've used the older "traditional" setup for years but never liked how the sling occasionally interferes with getting a good shoulder mount.

Ironically I've been looking at some of the attachments for that method of attachment. Seems like the ones with greater range of motion would be best.

I used to use the regular MOE but I can't stand that wiggle you refer to.
The new MOE SL costs almost exactly the same as the MOE but completely does away with the wiggle.

My DD's have an integral socket for a QD swivel at the back of the receiver, 6 o'clock. DD, and others, also make sling mounts that do the same thing that you can install on any M4.

Quick note, if you run the rear sling setup like I do, if you close the stock hard, you can hit the QD button and release the sling. Did that once with a single point sling, M4 came muzzle down squarely and broke my big toe.

I take a sanding drum on a Dremel and cut a U-notch so the stock doesn't hit the button. I'm out and about traveling right now, I can get pics later if anyone is interested.

For the front attachment, I use a QD mount that clamps to the rail up towards the front. My DD's have an integral QD cup in the rail, but they're located at the rear of the rail and I want my sling swivels spaced out a lot further than that.

Last edited:
My DD's have an integral socket for a QD swivel at the back of the receiver, 6 o'clock. DD, and others, also make sling mounts that do the same thing that you can install on any M4.

Quick note, if you run the rear sling setup like I do, if you close the stock hard, you can hit the QD button and release the sling. Did that once with a single point sling, M4 came muzzle down squarely and broke my big toe.

I take a sanding drum on a Dremel and cut a U-notch so the stock doesn't hit the button. I'm out and about traveling right now, I can get pics later if anyone is interested.

OUCH!
Outstanding tip! :thumb:

As to single point slings vs 2-point slings, it's a matter of preference.

Single point slings make transitioning from one shoulder to the other easier. To me, that's their strongest pro.

The biggest con of a single point is that they don't keep the weapon as secure when it is hanging. That is, with only one attachment point, the M4 is able to flop around much more than a 2-point.

The 2-point is more secure when slung but a little slower to transition.

I ran a single-point for years because I'm a switch-shoulder shooter. I shoot equally accurately from either shoulder, I'm just a bit faster from the right. I got tired of my M4 flinging around when I was trying to perform other tasks, so years ago I switched to a BFG Vickers 2-point. I use that sling on every carbine and shotgun of mine.

I use a single-point on my Colt 9mm SMG. It's so short and light that it doesn't bother me when it's hanging loose. The muzzle doesn't hang much lower than my belt.

I tried a single-point on my SBS 14" Rem870, but it's just that much longer and heavier than my SMG that I don't care for it.

Reactions: MRH
on my deer rifle, I have two qd attachment points close together on the stock and receiver to practically convert the two point to a one point. this is great for climbing into the stand. otherwise, I run the two point configuration because I like my scrotum unbruised.

With the 2-point, I can push the rifle down under my left armpit and all the way around until it's on my back. Handy for climbing and such.

Agreed.
I've seen too many rifle muzzles drop straight into the ground (one filled with mud that I had to use my cleaning rod/ brush to clear out the mud) when crouching down behind cover or going prone with a single point if the shooter has transitioned to a pistol or is not holding the rifle in their hands for some reason.

One time I saw it happen when a shooter was picking up some dummy rounds after an exercise.... felt like single points offered "Murphy" too much of an opportunity to show up....

I much prefer the 2 point but also like the slings w/ the QD points that can convert to either style for those times where a person wanted to use the single.

The VCAS 221 by blue force is great for those who can't decided between a one point or two. (It's a clever play on numbers two-to-one...it took me a while, but I'm slow)

It's about 20 more than their standard 2-point. Also, some of the magpul offerings have this ability.

Back
Top Bottom