• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Red Flag law for Perverts?

So, the consensus here is that any attempt to create a new "red flag law" to disarm gun owners (or put people on a "no guns" list where they'll be denied if they try to buy a gun from any FFL dealer) is a bad idea. It won't be effective, it will impact far more innocent people than true future killers and crazies, and regardless of its effectiveness, it's just blatantly unconstitutional because it restricts people's rights over behavior, character, or mannerisms, that are NOT UNLAWFUL by themselves, just strange or perhaps abrasive and unwelcome. But we at ODT agree that you don't let the government strip people of their rights UNLESS and UNTIL they actually cross the line into criminal conduct and DO commit a crime for which they can be arrested and prosecuted (and, if released on bond, the bond can have a no-weapons-possession order as part of that).

SO NOW I'D LIKE TO ASK ABOUT A DIFFERENT KIND OF RED FLAG LAW:

One for suspected future sex offenders. Guys (it's almost always going to be a guy) who act or talk inappropriately around kids in a way that makes other people, reasonable and fair-minded people, think that this guy is grooming that child for a romantic / sexual relationship, OR trying to get the kid alone and in private so that he can molest the kid without any witnesses.

If some guy behaves in such a way that throws up red flags in other people's minds, can they call the cops? Should the cops have any power, any authority, to do anything about it, other than stand back and observe the guy from a respectful distance without harassing him or restricting his rights?

In Foxboro, MA, the City commission has enacted a new ordinance that lets cops investigate complaints that some dude is getting pervy around kids, and the consequences to the alleged pedophile can include
1-- that the cops serve him with a criminal trespass notice banning him from all city property where events or activities involving children are held, and
2-- the cops find out where the guy works and talk to his employer, disclosing to the employer their concerns about the guy.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...cle_27473811-591d-5eb9-846b-92452d12d302.html
What does the Constitution say?

So, the consensus here is that any attempt to create a new "red flag law" to disarm gun owners (or put people on a "no guns" list where they'll be denied if they try to buy a gun from any FFL dealer) is a bad idea. It won't be effective, it will impact far more innocent people than true future killers and crazies, and regardless of its effectiveness, it's just blatantly unconstitutional because it restricts people's rights over behavior, character, or mannerisms, that are NOT UNLAWFUL by themselves, just strange or perhaps abrasive and unwelcome. But we at ODT agree that you don't let the government strip people of their rights UNLESS and UNTIL they actually cross the line into criminal conduct and DO commit a crime for which they can be arrested and prosecuted (and, if released on bond, the bond can have a no-weapons-possession order as part of that).

SO NOW I'D LIKE TO ASK ABOUT A DIFFERENT KIND OF RED FLAG LAW:

One for suspected future sex offenders. Guys (it's almost always going to be a guy) who act or talk inappropriately around kids in a way that makes other people, reasonable and fair-minded people, think that this guy is grooming that child for a romantic / sexual relationship, OR trying to get the kid alone and in private so that he can molest the kid without any witnesses.

If some guy behaves in such a way that throws up red flags in other people's minds, can they call the cops? Should the cops have any power, any authority, to do anything about it, other than stand back and observe the guy from a respectful distance without harassing him or restricting his rights?

In Foxboro, MA, the City commission has enacted a new ordinance that lets cops investigate complaints that some dude is getting pervy around kids, and the consequences to the alleged pedophile can include
1-- that the cops serve him with a criminal trespass notice banning him from all city property where events or activities involving children are held, and
2-- the cops find out where the guy works and talk to his employer, disclosing to the employer their concerns about the guy.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...cle_27473811-591d-5eb9-846b-92452d12d302.html

"Keep in mind that Foxboro's city law"...

I don't live in Foxboro..Dont care what they do there...Simple.
(No offense intended to your post..just a city law ..in a city I don't live)

"Keep in mind that Foxboro's city law"...

I don't live in Foxboro..Dont care what they do there...Simple.
(No offense intended to your post..just a city law ..in a city I don't live)
I agree that worrying about what passes for law in a very blue Yankee state is pointless. But I thunk what the OP was trying to show is that such laws gain a lot of traction and wind up spreading like kudzu.
I'm not really worried about a sex offender owning a gun. If you want to make me feel better about them roaming the streets then deny him his weapon of choice. Force them into chemical castration .

I just find it funny..
Some of the biggest Pervs I have ever known in my local city/county have been local city council members/politicians and cops..

And these are the people who as described by this law will be out ruining peoples lives by informing employers and families that someone else is a "suspected" Perv

Ive learned other people's children are simply a liability

Keep those little ****s locked up at home the hell away from me!

And that's the shameful result of this mentality that has invaded our society. Kids should be learning from a wide variety of responsible adults in our society. This mentality I think is far more harmful to kids than we think. Instead of learning from good folks in the community we are teaching them to be distrustful and sending them away to play video games on their own where they "are safe". When I was a kid I was fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time with some great adults that werent direct family that I learned a lot from. I wonder if I would have had those same opportunities in today's society. And the bitch of it is I agree with you. In today's world I would be hesitant to take a kid fishing on my own even if it was a friends kid. Family ok but not outside family. Kinda sucks. It does a village to raise a kid. Sad.

For example...if you were a Scout Master would you take a couple kids on a camp out without other adults? I probably wouldn't. I'd want at least another adult there.

For example...if you were a Scout Master would you take a couple kids on a camp out without other adults? I probably wouldn't. I'd want at least another adult there.

20 Years ago when I helped with my son's scout group the rules were no single adult with any scout or scouts. There always had to be be 2 adults leaders whn in the presence of the scouts just to prevent the appearance of any possible issues. The Catholic church should have used similar guidelines.

Back
Top Bottom