• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Refreshing Your Get Home Bag

While it's a dark dreary day outside, I took the opportunity to do a refresh of items in my 3 GHBs. The one in my adult daughter's car was way out of date so I feel good about getting her's back up to snuff.

I replace items like flash light batteries, food/energy bars and any drinking water.

How often do you do this and what items do you replace?

Thank you for posting this. My daughter just took the driving test last week and passed. She already has a car so I should get a bag together for her. What do you have in your daughters bag?

Well if you actually have a good/bug in your vehicle it would serve as that if you need to get there. Your get home supplies (generally just EDC) , or bag should be on your person.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You must be planning on a very short hike. It's not uncommon for me to be 50 miles or more from home. I need to have serious resources to draw on to make that in bad times, so...

Get Home Bag Inventory

Updated 2/21/19

Attached to outside:

2qrt Canteen

Top Pouch A:

Rain Gear

Life Straw

Rain Cover

Coin Paper

List

Top Pouch B:

Mess Kit w/Stove

First-aid Kit

Hammock

Plastic Silverware

Main pouch:

Socks (Warm Weather and Cold Weather)

Gloves ( Cold, Tactical , Fingerless Tactical )

Field Jacket w/Liner

Double Pistol Mag Pouch

Drop Leg Pistol Holster

Suspenders

Belt

Camo Shirt, Pants and Hat

Two Long Johns

Two T-Shirt

Two Boxer Shorts

Combat Knife

Three empty 40 S&W Mags

Ziploc Bags

NEED: Batteries (123 3v / 2032 Coin)

NEED: Rechargeable Batteries (AA / AAA ) w/charger

Solar charger

Extra Coin Paper

Outer Pouch:

*GPS, Binoculars and Range Finder (stored in vehicle)

Fishing Kit

Water Purifier

Cough Killer

Maps

Para Cord

Extra Straps

Camo Face Paint

Compass

NEED: Headlamp

Tools Bag

NEED: .40 Glock 22 Barrel

Knife Sharpener

Extra Compass

Leatherman Tools

Meds Bag

Amoxicillin 500mg

Antibiotic Ointment

Prilosec

Advil

Vitamins

T-Paper

Toothpaste

Toothbrush

Camp Soap

Hand Sanitizer

Bug Repellant

Sunblock

Listerine Strips

Water Purification Tablets

Sixteen Nicotine Gum

One Week of Regular Meds

Right Side:

Machete

Right Side Pouch:

Fire Bag

Candle Lamp

Fire Flint and Striker

Waterproof Matches (box)

Waterproof Matches w/striker papers (tube)

Fire Lighter Sticks

Three Lighters

Lights Bag

Flashlight

NEED: 4 Extra Batteries

Warm Bag

Two Foil Blankets

Left Side Pouch:

Gun Cleaning Bag

CLP

Brass Brush

Nylon Brush

AR Tool

Snake (.308 and 9mm)

Patches

Q-Tips

Bottom Pouch:

Food Bag

Two Stove Fuel

Four Freeze-dried Meals

Two Freeze-dries Breakfasts

Five Meal Bars

Nine Grits

Camp Bag

Camp Cup

Fork and Spoon

Tin Foil

Light Line

Belt Pouches:

Three Extra Glock 17 Mags

Exterior Bottom:

Sleeping Bag and Liner

Tent

Tactical Vest:

Six 30 round 300blk mags.

Three 17 round 9mm Glock mags.

Gun cleaning kit.

Gun Case:

300blk SBR

Glock 22 converted to 9mm

You must be planning on a very short hike. It's not uncommon for me to be 50 miles or more from home. I need to have serious resources to draw on to make that in bad times, so...

Get Home Bag Inventory

Updated 2/21/19

Attached to outside:

2qrt Canteen

Top Pouch A:

Rain Gear

Life Straw

Rain Cover

Coin Paper

List

Top Pouch B:

Mess Kit w/Stove

First-aid Kit

Hammock

Plastic Silverware

Main pouch:

Socks (Warm Weather and Cold Weather)

Gloves ( Cold, Tactical , Fingerless Tactical )

Field Jacket w/Liner

Double Pistol Mag Pouch

Drop Leg Pistol Holster

Suspenders

Belt

Camo Shirt, Pants and Hat

Two Long Johns

Two T-Shirt

Two Boxer Shorts

Combat Knife

Three empty 40 S&W Mags

Ziploc Bags

NEED: Batteries (123 3v / 2032 Coin)

NEED: Rechargeable Batteries (AA / AAA ) w/charger

Solar charger

Extra Coin Paper

Outer Pouch:

*GPS, Binoculars and Range Finder (stored in vehicle)

Fishing Kit

Water Purifier

Cough Killer

Maps

Para Cord

Extra Straps

Camo Face Paint

Compass

NEED: Headlamp

Tools Bag

NEED: .40 Glock 22 Barrel

Knife Sharpener

Extra Compass

Leatherman Tools

Meds Bag

Amoxicillin 500mg

Antibiotic Ointment

Prilosec

Advil

Vitamins

T-Paper

Toothpaste

Toothbrush

Camp Soap

Hand Sanitizer

Bug Repellant

Sunblock

Listerine Strips

Water Purification Tablets

Sixteen Nicotine Gum

One Week of Regular Meds

Right Side:

Machete

Right Side Pouch:

Fire Bag

Candle Lamp

Fire Flint and Striker

Waterproof Matches (box)

Waterproof Matches w/striker papers (tube)

Fire Lighter Sticks

Three Lighters

Lights Bag

Flashlight

NEED: 4 Extra Batteries

Warm Bag

Two Foil Blankets

Left Side Pouch:

Gun Cleaning Bag

CLP

Brass Brush

Nylon Brush

AR Tool

Snake (.308 and 9mm)

Patches

Q-Tips

Bottom Pouch:

Food Bag

Two Stove Fuel

Four Freeze-dried Meals

Two Freeze-dries Breakfasts

Five Meal Bars

Nine Grits

Camp Bag

Camp Cup

Fork and Spoon

Tin Foil

Light Line

Belt Pouches:

Three Extra Glock 17 Mags

Exterior Bottom:

Sleeping Bag and Liner

Tent

Tactical Vest:

Six 30 round 300blk mags.

Three 17 round 9mm Glock mags.

Gun cleaning kit.

Gun Case:

300blk SBR

Glock 22 converted to 9mm
That's insane. Clearly your ghb is a bug out bag.

Some of you guys are way over estimating your ability to cover ground in adverse conditions. Think about having to move at night and off trail. That might be the only way to avoid trouble and it slows you down a lot. You could easily spend days covering ground you thought you could walk in hours. It could take weeks to cover ground you thought you could cover in a couple of day.

As for the amount of equipment in your GHB, you can always ditch equipment and supplies the situation doesn't call for, but if you don't have it to start with and you do need it, you're screwed.

That's insane. Clearly your ghb is a bug out bag.

Nope. It's designed so the only thing I would need to find during six days of travel is water. The last thing I want to do is have to compete for resources with everyone else.

It's a long list to cover contingencies, but most of the items are small and light. If I can travel in the open, I can easily cover 10 to 15 miles a day with it. If I have to be discrete, cut that distance in half.

BTW, if you're bugging out, aren't you headed to a new "home" anyway?

Nope. It's designed so the only thing I would need to find during six days of travel is water. The last thing I want to do is have to compete for resources with everyone else.

It's a long list to cover contingencies, but most of the items are small and light. If I can travel in the open, I can easily cover 10 to 15 miles a day with it. If I have to be discrete, cut that distance in half.

BTW, if you're bugging out, aren't you headed to a new "home" anyway?
You are, and generally speaking a bug out bag has 72 hrs worth of food. There should be water in your car along with purification methods in your pack. My point is if it was lighter you could go further. Bugging out is the absolutely last course of action and isn't just grabbing your rifle and bag and heading out across the wasteland. It starts with moving with a supplied vehicle.

You are, and generally speaking a bug out bag has 72 hrs worth of food. There should be water in your car along with purification methods in your pack. My point is if it was lighter you could go further. Bugging out is the absolutely last course of action and isn't just grabbing your rifle and bag and heading out across the wasteland. It starts with moving with a supplied vehicle.

Ah, you are assuming you have a vehicle. I think the most likely cause of SHTF is an EMP or CME (Coronal Mass Ejection). Which will most likely fry your vehicle. Everything you need has to go on your back. We are already overdue for a major CME event. The last one was about 110 years ago and cooked the telegraph systems all over the world. A similar one today would pretty much end modern civilization.

The actual food in my pack weighs next to nothing, It's almost all freeze-dried. I can move the same speed if I have six days as three days of food.

Things that we seldom consider serious as things are now can end you in a crisis situation. The surest way that you will not be able to move well is to run out of calories (which you will be burning a lot of). A minor injury can quickly become a major issue unless it can be properly treated. Hypothermia will drain your strength in a short time. Small amounts of insect repellent and sunscreen can make a big difference.

The idea is to get home and still be in good condition, rather than barely making it.

Ah, you are assuming you have a vehicle. I think the most likely cause of SHTF is an EMP or CME (Coronal Mass Ejection). Which will most likely fry your vehicle. Everything you need has to go on your back. We are already overdue for a major CME event. The last one was about 110 years ago and cooked the telegraph systems all over the world. A similar one today would pretty much end modern civilization.

The actual food in my pack weighs next to nothing, It's almost all freeze-dried. I can move the same speed if I have six days as three days of food.

Things that we seldom consider serious as things are now can end you in a crisis situation. The surest way that you will not be able to move well is to run out of calories (which you will be burning a lot of). A minor injury can quickly become a major issue unless it can be properly treated. Hypothermia will drain your strength in a short time. Small amounts of insect repellent and sunscreen can make a big difference.

The idea is to get home and still be in good condition, rather than barely making it.
I think you're over looking literally every other scenario to say that though. Bugging is applicable to almost any major catastrophe such as fire, flood, earthquake, fallout etc. And there is no realistically respectable threat of "emp" attack as it's not beneficial to anyone with the capabilities. But that's a topic for a different post. Disaster preparedness falls into the same category along with serious civil unrest (see Ferguson, Baltimore etc) and a lot of us fail to recognize the parameters of this reality.

I think you're over looking literally every other scenario to say that though. Bugging is applicable to almost any major catastrophe such as fire, flood, earthquake, fallout etc. And there is no realistically respectable threat of "emp" attack as it's not beneficial to anyone with the capabilities. But that's a topic for a different post. Disaster preparedness falls into the same category along with serious civil unrest (see Ferguson, Baltimore etc) and a lot of us fail to recognize the parameters of this reality.

I think the next major catastrophe will be the internet going down for an extended period (3 days plus). That will shut down gas stations, grocery stores, some power grids, some water facilities, etc. It will be chaos.

You might want to print out this post because I won't be able to update it with "Told ya so".

Back
Top Bottom