• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading 308

SamSamson

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
107   1
Reaction score
Hi folks, kind of new to reloading, about a year now and only 223. Wanting to reload 308 and want to know from some experienced reloaders what I can expect cost wise to reload my 308. I dont hunt, and the range I go to only goes out to 100 yards so Im not looking for super loads but real good to start with anyway. Would appreciate the info.

175 SMK bullets/ 44.5 grains of Varget should work really well for what your looking for, your going to load 150 + bullets per pound of powder and order the match kings by the 500 count its cheaper.
This will give you a great starting point

Assuming you want a load like Federal Gold Medal Match...
Materials run about 60 cents a round if you’re reusing brass. I’m sure you can do better buying bulk qty and cheap components.
What rifle are you loading?

Pricing components is not difficult. What rifle are you shooting the loads in?

For M1As I load 168 great SMKs with 43.2 grains of IMR 4064 and CCI #34 primers. Figure @ 7,000 grains per pd Avoidupois divided by the # grains per load and divide primer cost by count to estimate cost per round if using fired brass. Mine come out to about 40-50 cents each buying bulk components from a wholesaler. Figure 50 - 79 cents retail.

I'm very close to palmettomoon (post#3) 168 GR Sierra SMK's (# 2200) , 43.1 Gr of IMR-4064 , S&B primers, and Lapua brass (174-175 gr case weight). This gives me 2600 FPS out of my Remington 700. I also use R&P and LC brass for less critical shooting, I weigh the brass to +/- 1 gr. and adjust powder accordinly to keep all my loads accross different brass weights close to 2600 fps for consistency. That's not as important if you plan on staying at 100 yards, but helps at longer distances.

As far as cost per load, the brass cost is a variable factor. Figure $0.34 for SMK's (box of 500), about $0.18 for powder (lb canaster=162 loads), $0.03 for primers (box of 1000) and $0.25 for once fired brass (internet), $0.85 for new Lapua brass or $0.00 once you start building a supply of your own (brass is good for multiple loads). That ends up at $0.55 a round w/o brass, so your looking at a lowest first 20 round cost of $11.00 a box with free brass. Purchased brass rounds starts at $16.00/box with $0.25 brass and $28.00/box for new Lapua and cost drops per box for subsequent reloads. EG the tenth reload of Laupa drops cost of using it to 8.5 cents a round for all 10 reloads, assuming $85 box of 100 new yeilds 1000 rounds.

Also if you shoot a lot buying power in bulk can cut a few cents per round off the cost , primers, bullets and brass not so much of a savings in bulk.

Reloading, is not a money savings hobby, you have got to really have the passion, devote the time, establish a dedicated area, for the reloading equipment, the dies, the cleaning equipment, the trimming area, area for your brass, shot shells, wads, powder, primers.

Loading manuals and you will need several as different companies will have important information that you will pick up on it, personal notes on your loads, and of course the final stocking area for your finished product your reloads.

Remember, never load when you are tired, or when you normally spend family time, or during short times between activities with your family, appointments, etc.,. Plan your loading when you have 4-6 hours blocked out for your loading.

You will invest time, money and lots of it, there are always some items, products, presses, and supplies...

so good luck with your new found hobby, that will keep you busy for the rest of your life, we have been loading for 45+ years, and you never , never, have everything you need, as you will see..

Simple no passion, hobby, or sport is cheap, it costs, time, for this passion, hobby, so if you shoot 200 rounds or less each month, just go buy shelf ammo.

@45grains of powder thats like 16c per load, 3c per primer,~30c per pill...look at shhoters pro shop for nosler 30cal overruns. the nosler CC and rfd shoot as well in my .308s as the SMKs...ymmv. ive gotten 175gr CC overruns for 20c a pill.

175 SMK bullets/ 44.5 grains of Varget should work really well for what your looking for, your going to load 150 + bullets per pound of powder and order the match kings by the 500 count its cheaper.
This will give you a great starting point
Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom