• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading bench using a rolling tool box

Grub Master

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
102   0
Reaction score
Has anyone made a reloading bench using a large rolling tool box on casters? With the cost of lumber and the time involved a good size Craftsman or HD box might work. Maybe a little larger than this one.

1670467602618.jpeg

I ran that config for around 20 years when I had somewhat limited space. I mounted the press on the back edge, since some parts extend down below the mount surface I didn't want to block the movement of the drawers. To increase rigidity I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for the top. To improve stability I used a low center of gravity and about 150 pounds of weight, meaning I put all the slugs and a couple bags of lead shot in the bottom section. Worked like a charm and it was sturdy enough to load 9mm through 300wm. Also locked to keep inquisitive kidlets from exploring, and portable enough I could get it in the back of the truck and take it to my brother's house when necessary.

It's nice too have a large, strong, wall secured bench for sure but sometimes you have to adjust to life circumstances.

I have done that, but....

It was to mount two Dillon 1050s. They don't work like a conventional press. Everything happens on the downstroke. Regular presses have that "primer seating" motion at the end of the upstroke. That will jar the heck out of a toolbox-on-wheels setup, even if the brakes are applied.

It may work well if you have some way to clamp it temporarily against some wall studs or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom