• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Berdan Primed - Anyone Doing This?

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Last edited:
I have converted some brass in several calibers from berdan to boxer primers. I haven't had any problems with it once converted. I did break a decapping pin on some .303 Brit once though. I called Mary at Lee Precision and told her what happened and that it was my fault and they sent me a new decapping pin free. I didnt notice the different size primers mentioned in the article though. All mine fit snug with no work and haven't given me any problems.

Last edited:
It's probably worth it for harder-to-find/more expensive boxer brass calibers. I wouldn't spend my time doing that with 7.62x39 brass. I'd wait until one of the reloading vendors got a shipment of Berdan primers and buy five or ten K worth of them. Seems to happen every two or three years.

It's probably worth it for harder-to-find/more expensive boxer brass calibers. I wouldn't spend my time doing that with 7.62x39 brass. I'd wait until one of the reloading vendors got a shipment of Berdan primers and buy five or ten K worth of them. Seems to happen every two or three years.

IMHO the best advice I've seen on the subject ... Deprime and clean your corrosive primed stuff as soon as possible after shooting (corrosive salts will attack brass!), then wait until the primers become available.

When I find Berdan primed brass, I toss it with a few explatives. It's more trouble than it's worth to reload for most of us. It also often jacks up my depriming pin if I miss it. However if you have a rare round and berdan primed is all you can acquire then do what you must, it can be reloaded with some degree of difficultly.

When I find Berdan primed brass, I toss it with a few explatives. It's more trouble than it's worth to reload for most of us. It also often jacks up my depriming pin if I miss it. However if you have a rare round and berdan primed is all you can acquire then do what you must, it can be reloaded with some degree of difficultly.

^^^^THIS^^^^ Unless it's a very rare round it's just not worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom