• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Opinon's

Remmy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
When working up a new load would you start with maximum COAL and minimum powder charge or minimum COAL and go up on your powder charge?If you start with max Coal and min powder charge you probably won't end up with high pressure problem's.What YA Think?

What are you loading?

Unless I'm downloading youth rifle loads I don't start at the minimum. The platform makes a difference too. " I don't use the same approach loading for a single shot that I would an autoloader." Most pistols and revolvers are done differently too.

I'm relatively new to reloading, but an older gentlemen advised me to subtract the starting load from the max load and multiple that by .85 then add that to the starting load. As for the COAL, do whatever is recommended for your round.

30gr-20gr=10g........10*0.85= 8.5gr......20gr+8.5gr=28.5gr..starting load.

I'm relatively new to reloading, but an older gentlemen advised me to subtract the starting load from the max load and multiple that by .85 then add that to the starting load. As for the COAL, do whatever is recommended for your round.

30gr-20gr=10g........10*0.85= 8.5gr......20gr+8.5gr=28.5gr..starting load.

I would get advice elsewhere.........having a starting load near max is a quck path to having a bad day.

Find a powder that has a max load density of 98% or less and reduce your max load by 10% then work up to safe pressure in your rifle. This is with max COAL. After this, leave the powder charge and type alone and start bumping seating depth in 0.010 increments to find an accurate load for your rifle. This is a very simple method and works quite well most of the time. Of coarse it doesn't always work. Be prepared to go back to the beginning using another powder if you bump a total of 0.040 without the accuracy results you want. This is generalized and is primarily for bolt action rifles and bullets that do not need to be crimped.

Watch for any signs of increased pressure as you bump the seating depth.

Back
Top Bottom