• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading question

LewisBrookshire

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
133   0
Reaction score
For you guys that reload, how much would it cost to get set up reloading .223 ammo? I am sure there are variables but I am just looking for a ballpark figure for a newbie to start.

For you guys that reload, how much would it cost to get set up reloading .223 ammo? I am sure there are variables but I am just looking for a ballpark figure for a newbie to start.

You can start out with a single stage press and get a Lee kit for just over a $100 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit
Dies (Lee) will set you back about $30, another $30 for hand primer, probably less than $20 for loading blocks or make you own. Other incidentals. You’re looking probably around $200.

The expendables such as primer, powder and bullets vary. The bullets are largest cost but 1000/.223 are one of the cheaper bullets. If you shop around I have picked them up for about $70-$80 at local gun shows. Primers can be picked up if you shop around for around $20/1000 and a pound of powder for around $20.

So probably around $320 starting out to load 1000 .223. I didn't count brass as all that I shoot I pick up normally and pick up anyone’s left overs at the ranges over the years. I have a tub of .223 brass. You can load less and cut down on start up cost.

Back
Top Bottom