• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Questions

Sandman

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
5   0
Reaction score
Do you reload for the fun of it or can you save a lot of money on your ammo. I looking at doing .223 and .45. .308 but can't figure out if reloading is really the way to go.

Depends on what you're reloading. If you're loading 9mm and .223, you can get the bulk stuff pretty cheaply, so I don't reload those calibers. .45 Colt and .32 Mag - I get some real savings. When I was reloading for my 45-70, those were some huge savings.

Whomever tells you that you will save money reloading is a complete and bold face liar ..... you dont save chit, you just shoot more.

Yep, half the cost means I can shoot twice as much. At least with pistols. I do save money and it's fun too. Custom ammo for my deer rifle in .308 is much cheaper and more accurate than factory. If we ever have another Obama scare and ammo gets hard to find I won't have to look far. Just have to keep componenets stocked up.

you don't save much unless you are reloading a larger caliber or a magnum. before I started reloading 300 win mag i was paying about $1.50 a round($26-$30 a box of 20) after reloading I got it down to about $.70 a round buying .45 acp I pay around $.03 per round ($15 a box of 50) with reloading it comes out to around $.02 per round. Reloading is fun and exacting and I enjoy it. You do shoot more because you always have ammo on hand and you are always curious about how a new recipe will perform.

If you scavenge your pistol brass off the range, reloading is about 1/2 the cost of buying at WalMart--once you are all set up. The bigger the caliber - the bigger the savings. 9mm is about 1/2. The equipment is a long term investment, but easily sold when done with it.

It really depends on the amount of shooting you are doing and how much your time is worth. Reloading is a a great time killer, but you need the free time to justify it.

I would start with the caliber that costs you the most on a monthly bases.

My reloading setup is pretty cheap...$25 for the kit, bunch of free brass. Coulda done better on the primers and powder, but didn't want to buy bulk right off the bat. As it stands, I think I'm under $5/box for .357, depending on how hot I load. And I really don't load that hot since I'm reloading lead boolits for cowboy type guns.

If you are looking to get the most accurate ammo you can get for yourself; than the only way to get it is to reload unless you have a custom reloader on retainer. In this case you should save about 50% reloading. You will have to experiment untill you find what works best for you and the gun. So untill you find the right formula, you will have to be patient. As you get more experience the right load will come faster. However on occasion I find a factory load is the most accurate for me, vary rare.

Back
Top Bottom