• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading Questions

I handload better ammo than I can buy for less money. If I thought I could buy better ammo than I load, that's what I would use. Just like anything else, there are definitely different types of handloaders out there. It's about accuracy and reliability for me. I don't know what it cost to load anything I load for, I don't care. I can't go to the store and buy ammo as good as mine, so it doesn't matter.

You CAN save some money by reloading, BUT the initial purchases of press, dies, scales, so forth, and so on will put you way down on the saving curve. It will take a lot of shooting and reloading for you to break even with that initial expense. I reload to save some money but mainly I enjoy creating ammo that is custom made for MY guns. I know that if I load a 168 grain Sierra bullet being pushed by 37.1 grains of Varget, I am going to hit exactly where I am aiming with my .308 VTR!!

You CAN save some money by reloading, BUT the initial purchases of press, dies, scales, so forth, and so on will put you way down on the saving curve. It will take a lot of shooting and reloading for you to break even with that initial expense. I reload to save some money but mainly I enjoy creating ammo that is custom made for MY guns. I know that if I load a 168 grain Sierra bullet being pushed by 37.1 grains of Varget, I am going to hit exactly where I am aiming with my .308 VTR!!

Not if you do a Lee Loader to start with. $25 and you're ready to go.

You are correct, Sir!!

I started out about 40 years ago with a Lee Loader and a hammer, they were only a couple of bucks back then and I still have that .38 Special loader somewhere.

That's exactly what I have...the .38 kit, as it also loads .357 (just had to get a different scoop for hotter .357 loads). That plus a $1 plastic mallet from a yard sale and I was loading ammo.

Course, it does put some time constraints on when I can load ammo...apparently, the wife thinks all the BANG BANG BANG would keep the kids awake or some such nonsense...

Back
Top Bottom