• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

reloading shotgun shell ?

1gunsnotenough

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
260   1
Reaction score
Have re-loaded pistol rounds for years. My question is what is the cost of a box of field loads when you re-load them. Trying to see if it is cost effective to re-load 12 ga shells.

It really depends on how many you go through. At close to $10 a box for the light loads we use for Cowboy Action shooting the answer is "yes". I use a MEC 600 JR. I really like reloading shotgun shells on it.

I used to shoot in excess of 1,000 rds of 12 ga. per week while I was competing in skeet and trap in my younger days. reloading was the only way to go.

I've looked into this occasionally over the past 40 years of my experience in reloading and cannot (and never have ever be able to) cost-justify reloading 12 Gauge Clay's loads (2-3/4 2.75 DE 1-1/8 OZ 9 Shot) verses purchasing them retail. Careful shopping will get them for ~$6 per box of 25 ... and the prices are starting to drop (this includes all retail ammo of any caliber!).

On the other hand, if you are shooting some exotic gauge (10's / 16's / 28's / 410's)... you could save some coin ...

I reload 410 and 28 ga simply because I use Briley sub-ga tubes and the only ammo they like is AA or Rem STS. And factory's are $10+ per box. I shoot quite a bit of 12 ga and I buy mine at Wal-Mart, Federals for $19.88 per 100. You can't load them much cheaper. And if you have to buy the reloading press and all components to get started. You will never recoup your investment.

$4.50 a box is my calculated cost for a 12ga lite load.

Buying once fired shells, 7/8 oz #8 lead shot, and paying shipping those and 5000 wads at a time.
Cheddite 209 primers in group purchase splitting HazMat.

Of course any equipment cost on top.

The Mec 650jr mentioned above is a 5 stage press that can be can be bought, new or used at a bargain price IMHO

5 pulls = one shell

It is what I also use

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks guys. No more shotgun than I shoot probably not cost/time efficient for me to reload. Especially since I an getting ready to load 223 and 308.

Back
Top Bottom