• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading woes

I use a hand primer and ever so gently seat primers on already loaded ammo. Be very careful. If its pistol caliber, I like to take the barrel out of the gun and drop the loaded rounds in to test them. don't get discouraged, it gets easier. What calibers are you doing?

Your kidding right?. . . . .please don't tell me you seat primers on cases that have been charged and bullets seated?. . . . . .why in Gods name would you do that?

best to start with a pistol round like 9mm, and do one thing at a time, like deprime/size(make sure you lube prior) clean the primer pocket, then prime. then do another case.
After you get a few primed, then weigh in a charge using preferably a digital scale that you just checked calibration.
Can't be too careful or anal here.

This assumes you have set the dies per the mfr's directions.

Finally seat a projectile and check the overall length, you have to keep it above the minimum and below the maximum. You can find the recommended powder charge and length using either the bullet mfr's chart or the powder mfr chart. Use them every time.Crimp it.

not a complete list

best to start with a pistol round like 9mm, and do one thing at a time, like deprime/size(make sure you lube prior) clean the primer pocket, then prime. then do another case.
After you get a few primed, then weigh in a charge using preferably a digital scale that you just checked calibration.
Can't be too careful or anal here.

This assumes you have set the dies per the mfr's directions.

Finally seat a projectile and check the overall length, you have to keep it above the minimum and below the maximum. You can find the recommended powder charge and length using either the bullet mfr's chart or the powder mfr chart. Use them every time.Crimp it.

not a complete list

Reloading .45. I have read, read, and read, and watched, watched and watched. I think (hopefully) I have the "academic" part down. It is the "application" part that I don't appear to be pulling off correctly! :dizzy:

Reloading .45. I have read, read, and read, and watched, watched and watched. I think (hopefully) I have the "academic" part down. It is the "application" part that I don't appear to be pulling off correctly! :dizzy:

If its the primer seating, likely just need to ream the pockets. the tool is cheap. also check that your case is centered over the hole when you are pressing

Sounds like some of your cases have crimped primer pockets. You'll need to go through them and either swage the pockets or ream them with a pocket cutter.

The Lee priming system is junk. Pull it off And buy yourself a good Hand primer. I found it to be the key to loading on a lee progressive. I also moved the powder dispenser to the priming slot put 3 lee extensions to raise the powder Dispense up & out of the way and put a Dillon powder check w/alarm where the powder dispenser was. This is a safe proof that all progressive loaders need to make sure the powder is just right. The lee powder system is a finicky system and the powder check is a must for piece of mind in my book. This is what I did as I had the same problems you are having, 3 years ago on a lee loadmaster..

The Pro 1000 is a capable straight walled cartridge press. Learning the basics on one, well it ain't something I'd want to do.

Get yourself an inexpensive single stage or turret press to nail the process down. The 1000 does work, but you have to follow the directions and have a consistent hand on the lever. There's simply too much for the beginner to watch.

30 years ago when I first started, I'd likely not pursued loading if the 1000 had been the tool.

I've owned several of them that I left setup for different calibers. The only real trouble I've had with them is with .223's. The movement's too jerky for cases full or rifle powder.

With all due respect, learn to walk before trying to run.

I admit I'm not familiar with that press, but if you're having trouble with .45, something is very wrong. That's got to be the easiest one there is. I've loaded thousands of rounds of range brass, and never encountered a priming issue. Ever. In 20 years. Something is wrong with your priming setup.

Unless, of course, you've encountered that bull***** small-primer brass. You can't ream that into working. Set it aside or throw it away.

I segregated all the small primer pocket brass, so that isn't the problem. I am sure its me, as the previous owner had no problems with the press.

I will start over this weekend. Not gonna mess with it again until I have some time to dedicate to it.

Back
Top Bottom