• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reloading woes

The Pro 1000 is a capable straight walled cartridge press. Learning the basics on one, well it ain't something I'd want to do.

Get yourself an inexpensive single stage or turret press to nail the process down. The 1000 does work, but you have to follow the directions and have a consistent hand on the lever. There's simply too much for the beginner to watch.

30 years ago when I first started, I'd likely not pursued loading if the 1000 had been the tool.

I've owned several of them that I left setup for different calibers. The only real trouble I've had with them is with .223's. The movement's too jerky for cases full or rifle powder.

With all due respect, learn to walk before trying to run.

No offense taken. I got the progressive as I did not want to buy a single stage and then move to a progressive, leaving an unused single stage. The way everything works makes perfect sense on paper - I think I have the science part down, but am missing the art.

Get a cheap single stage off the reloading section or borrow a friends while you learn. You will want one for rifle and odd calibers that you don't shoot hundreds of anyway.

There's a learning curve with it, don't worry too much. I have a collection of effed up rounds that I've loaded, just to remind me not to make the same mistakes more than once. Or at least more than a few times ;)

If your primer feeder/slide is dirty you will get random no priming.

If they arent seating deep enough then your not going all the way to the bottom.

Check your alignment it might be slightly off causing the primer to catch the edge of the base plate causing a sideways prime.

Go to Lee website they have some great videos on the pro 1000 and the loadmaster.

If your primer feeder/slide is dirty you will get random no priming.

If they arent seating deep enough then your not going all the way to the bottom.

Check your alignment it might be slightly off causing the primer to catch the edge of the base plate causing a sideways prime.

Go to Lee website they have some great videos on the pro 1000 and the loadmaster.

Yeah - watched all those, but will watch again. Gonna tear it down this weekend and clean her up. I'll definitely check the alignment, as it seems some of the primers were a little wonkie.

I was going all the way to the bottom of each stroke with a deliberate motion. I was expecting to feel a little resistance as I approached the bottom of the stroke, but did not notice any, even on the few that seated fully.

The priming system is almost always the biggest generator of problems on any brand press. Keep it clean. I clean mine with a brush every 100 rounds.

You can run the brass through the sizing die and prime in one step by removing the other dies and powder dispenser. Then set it back up and run them without the sizing die or primers installed--just until you get it figured out.

Its going to be something simple that is causing the problems and your going to laugh at your self when you figure it out.

I dont know about the rest of you but I like when things get outta whack a little. Makes you think and learn your equipment even more. Also gives you more to watch for as each round goes through.

post 17 and 18 are solid advice. Someone said crimp?? Taper crimp only for straight wall pistol cases. Roll crimp for revolvers. Straight wall pistol cases headspace on the case mouth. Roll crimping creates headspace(round falls to far into chamber). The outside case diameter is determined by the bore measurement of your barrel. I would recommend starting on a single stage as well. Pistol reloading is a little tricky.

I use a hand primer and ever so gently seat primers on already loaded ammo. Be very careful. If its pistol caliber, I like to take the barrel out of the gun and drop the loaded rounds in to test them. don't get discouraged, it gets easier. What calibers are you doing?

This is terrible advice!!!! You should be ashamed to encourage beginning reloaders to seat primers on a live round. This is the type of misinformation that inexperienced reloaders should be aware that is on the internet. Why should someone take such risk when an inexpensive bullet puller will do the job?

Back
Top Bottom