• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remember when I was going to the range....

Yeah I prefer Nick's to Hotshots (now its called Wild West Traders). WWT doesnt want you do do anything but stand perfectly still and fire one shot at a time. If you try to practice quick mag changes or double taps they will ask you to leave. They dont even want you to practice shooting from a draw. I like the range at Nick's much better because I can actually PRACTICE there. Plus all of the staff there are much nicer and more laid back then most other shops. Actually Nick's has a new owner now and he is very friendly and helpful. I turned in a resume there not too long ago and Im hoping I can get some part time work behind the counter.

The range is called Wild West Traders, Hot Shots is the pawn shop next door to it. I go there fairly often and have never had any trouble with the place and the employees have always been helpful and friendly, at least in my experiences.

I used to shoot at wwt's some but after about 3 times of being treated like i didn't matter i stopped going and now shoot at advanced bullet's in Carrollton... man can't wait for Stoddard's to open their range.

I never noticed them being super anal about range rules(thought they were kinda lax honestly) but their employee's were what drove me away.

Did i hear right that wwt's was victim to a Brady Bunch suicide?

I took a firearm safety class a few weeks ago to apply for a concealed carry permit and these two guys walked into a police station with loaded concealed weapons. When asked if anybody had concealed weapons, they raised their hands and turned them into the instructor. They couldn't even tell him what kind of guns they were or what type of ammunition they required. They were then marveling at my shooting "skill" during the test portion of the class just because I hit the target (the overall black outline of the person) 47 out of 50 times (it was my second time shooting a pistol). I'm glad rules are in place at some of these ranges because I don't feel comfortable with people like this carrying concealed weapons or shooting next to me. It does suck that you got asked to leave because you wanted to properly instruct your wife though.

Last edited:
thx for the heads up... was planning to go there this weekend. Aint gonna happen now. I have a friend with some property in Jasper. I could pay $30 to shoot at a range for 30 minutes or $15 in gas and shoot all day in jasper.

WWT is my 'home' range, meaning that is where I shoot most often. They are OK, but sometimes they get a little uppity about using the range. But I can understand why - they did have a Brady Bunch incident, a guy who smuggled an AR in .223 (claimed it was only a .22LR and proceeded to shoot holes in their backstop), and a guy who had an AD and shot through one of the display cases after ricocheting off the floor. They have their reasons for being the way they are. They are just trying to be safe. Although if they are testing people...it has only started in the last month since I have been there last. They were still letting people who should not be in a range with a loaded weapon in last time I was there.

Take heart...their is a new range coming to Smyrna in the spring. Probably May or so...

The range I go to in Grantville called Lock, Stock & Barrel actually will let me take relatives in to teach them to shoot and only charge for one shooter. But I have been going there for years and the owner knows me pretty well. It's a small range and nobody is allowed to bring in a loaded weapon. There's a big sign right on the door that says "ALL GUNS MUST BE UNLOADED BEFORE ENTERING" Nice friendly place where everyone knows your name, LOL! Kinda like Cheers haha!

Back
Top Bottom