• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Replace a transmission on 8 year old Yukon for $5800?

Mine went out on my 1996 Suburban at 240k, had it rebuilt in Blue Ridge for 1600, still running strong. I would avoid AAMCO, like someone else said, find a local tranny guy and let him rebuild it with enhanced parts. Oh geez, I said tranny.

If you decide to keep it, make sure you put a new trans cooler on it!!

If not you’ll be doing it again in no time.

5800 is pretty fair for prices right now, especially if it’s a new unit.

Damn 100k+ hemi engines are running 2-3k

I’d replace the cooler and find a low mileage used unit to slap in, probably get you a few more years. That’s the most cost effective, you’ll get another 100k+ out of a new unit.

You’ll be doing cam and lifters before then though. If you think the 15’s are bad, trade in on that new 10 spd junk and you’ll be lucky to hit 60k before trans fails lol

BCE6DB3D-2D07-4CBA-ABBD-594A28DEF32D.png

DC59979D-DE17-4783-9155-5224527041B1.png

8 hr labor plus 1500$ used transmission probably around the 2500-3k mark and that’s for 4wd if 2nd labor is less.

Hope this helps.

Be sure it's actually the transmission.

Cousin's BMW starting having issues. Took it to the dealer. They diagnosed it as a bad transmission and quoted over $7k to replace it.

He wound up taking it to a small specialty shop somewhere else for a second opinion. They found the actual problem and fixed it for a few hundred...

I haven't trusted dealer repair shops for decades now.

It's hard to beat a 2000-2006 Chevy truck they started having issues when they went to the 6 speed automatic transmission and the feature of dropping cylinders for highway mileage.
Exactly! Cracks me up everyone comparing all Chevys and all ford's in the same category despite all the different transmissions. The 4L80E is an awesome unit, 4l60e not quite as much. The 6l80e sure seems to go out a lot.

Back
Top Bottom