Replace a transmission on 8 year old Yukon for $5800?

Randy’s Transmission 678-427-4384. Just replaced mine 200k miles of pulling big weight every day. $3600.
He came highly recommended and I went with him. He’s off Lower Fayetteville Rd. Tell him Arbor Tech Tree Service recommended him.
Thanks for the referral. Had it towed to Randy today. Much less expensive than the dealer and two other mechanic shops I called fir quotes.

I made a good living at a GM dealership as a service advisor for years on just those cars alone! The problem with those transmissions (mainly) was the torque converter and the "adaptive shift learning module" or thats what we called it. You would drive it and it would upshift hard and down shift really hard when coming to a stop. The torque converter failure would feel like a very harsh intermittent vibration especially going up a slight incline at lower RPMS.

To fix the harsh shifting GM said to "update the module" and all that was resetting the shift points back to factory settings. GM thought they were smart by making a trans that would "learn how you drive". It is a complete waste of time and impossible to explain. I fully don't understand it butt oh well. After fighting with modules and reprogramming it would always end up with burnt clutch disks and the fluid would be so burnt you would just need to replace the stupid mf trans anyways. I bet this is what your issue was.

To fix the torque converter issue they would do a complete trans flush. This doesn't mean they would drain and fill. They would completely cycle every bit of the factory fluid (about 13 quarts) with Mobile 1 fluid. They explained to us that the factory fluid could not hold up to the pressure that was needed and that the mobile 1 fluid would. Funny enough, that did fix that problem. Before that flush fix they made us replace the torque converter and people would comeback in less than 15-20k miles with the same issue. By the time they came back with the same issue it would be out of warranty then it was more beneficial to replace the whole trans because of the warranty you would get on the repair. If you just replaced the torque converter ($2500ish) it would be a two year warranty on the converter only vs a new unit ($4000ish) would be 3 year warranty on the whole trans including the converter.

Just wait until the A/C condenser goes out or if your cam and lifters go out.

I made a good living at a GM dealership as a service advisor for years on just those cars alone! The problem with those transmissions (mainly) was the torque converter and the "adaptive shift learning module" or thats what we called it. You would drive it and it would upshift hard and down shift really hard when coming to a stop. The torque converter failure would feel like a very harsh intermittent vibration especially going up a slight incline at lower RPMS.

To fix the harsh shifting GM said to "update the module" and all that was resetting the shift points back to factory settings. GM thought they were smart by making a trans that would "learn how you drive". It is a complete waste of time and impossible to explain. I fully don't understand it butt oh well. After fighting with modules and reprogramming it would always end up with burnt clutch disks and the fluid would be so burnt you would just need to replace the stupid mf trans anyways. I bet this is what your issue was.

To fix the torque converter issue they would do a complete trans flush. This doesn't mean they would drain and fill. They would completely cycle every bit of the factory fluid (about 13 quarts) with Mobile 1 fluid. They explained to us that the factory fluid could not hold up to the pressure that was needed and that the mobile 1 fluid would. Funny enough, that did fix that problem. Before that flush fix they made us replace the torque converter and people would comeback in less than 15-20k miles with the same issue. By the time they came back with the same issue it would be out of warranty then it was more beneficial to replace the whole trans because of the warranty you would get on the repair. If you just replaced the torque converter ($2500ish) it would be a two year warranty on the converter only vs a new unit ($4000ish) would be 3 year warranty on the whole trans including the converter.

Just wait until the A/C condenser goes out or if your cam and lifters go out.
I actually came here to mention that Im surprised you have a 2015 that has not needed an A/C condenser. They normally go out between 65-80k miles.

We have found that if we catch the transmissions when they first start shuttering we have had good luck with a BG transmission flush and a bottle of Ford XL3 friction modifier.

I actually came here to mention that Im surprised you have a 2015 that has not needed an A/C condenser. They normally go out between 65-80k miles.

We have found that if we catch the transmissions when they first start shuttering we have had good luck with a BG transmission flush and a bottle of Ford XL3 friction modifier.
They actually have a recall for the condenser issue and most of the existing vehicles they extended the warranty over 120k+ to cover the repair depending on year model.

They leak and the bracket weld seams, I’d call the dealer and check on the condenser issue to see if they’ll cover it.

They actually have a recall for the condenser issue and most of the existing vehicles they extended the warranty over 120k+ to cover the repair depending on year model.

They leak and the bracket weld seams, I’d call the dealer and check on the condenser issue to see if they’ll cover it.
I need to check into this. The last I heard it was only the SUV’s and it extended to 60000 miles of course it seems they all leak around 65 so not much help. If they extended it to 120k most customers should be eligible for reimbursements.

Back
Top Bottom