• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Resturant/Bar carry question

GIJoe

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Had to decide whether or not I should take my gun off my hip this evening before I went into one of my favorite BBQ joints. I know that in GA, carrying in a bar is prohibited currently. But I was about to dine in a restaurant that has a bar, I didn't know if I would be breaking the carry law by eating bbq in the restaurant with a holster and revolver on my hip? I decided to take the gun off my belt and leave it in the truck, something I dread to do now since I just had another gun stolen last week from my truck. While eating, there was hardly anyone around, and I think I probably could've gotten away with it, but still is this something that is clear or fuzzy when it comes to the carry laws? Does anyone understand what I'm saying? I don't even drink alcohol. I just wanted to eat a bbq sandwich. FYI, I had just come from a wooded tract of land where I had been bush hogging. Running into coyotes and other varmits is pretty common out there, so I carry a gun when I'm there by myself. I was carrying an old Colt Police Positive 38 S&W, which is the smallest carry gun I have since my 357 was stolen last week. Oh, and I do have my Georgia Weapons Permit I case you're wondering.

Q: Can I carry at Applebee’s or [insert other restaurant here]?
A: SB308 does not prohibit carry for Georgia Weapons License holders in restaurants. However, individual restaurant owners have the option of asking you to leave their establishment if they do not wish for you to carry there. Should a business owner or his agent ask you to leave while you are carrying a firearm, do so immediately, or as soon as reasonably possible. Failure to leave within a reasonable time, or refusing to leave, is a criminal offense known as “criminal trespass.” In addition, please maintain a polite demeanor so as to project a good image of yourself and other GCO members to the business owner and any witnesses even when being asked to leave.
Q: Can I carry at a Bar?
A: SB308 criminalized bar carry, unless the owner of the bar grants permission to carry. If the bar owner does not allow carry, it is a crime to carry there.

Ok, that is what I thought. It would not have been a problem. I just wanted to see what y'all thought about it. I try to respect the laws as best as possible. I realize some things are legal like riding your bike on the shoulder of a busy public road with a mosin nagant slung across your back, but might not be the best idea due to the possibility of attracting attention by ignorant cops.

Ok, that is what I thought. It would not have been a problem. I just wanted to see what y'all thought about it. I try to respect the laws as best as possible. I realize some things are legal like riding your bike on the shoulder of a busy public road with a mosin nagant slung across your back, but might not be the best idea due to the possibility of attracting attention by ignorant cops.

This is by no means a personal attack but rather a question/comment. If someone were indeed riding a bicycle down a busy public road with a rifle slung across their back would you not want one of those "ignorant cops" to a least speak with the individual on the bike? Not to harass or intimidate but simply to determine if possibly the biker is on his way to the nearest public school?

This is by no means a personal attack but rather a question/comment. If someone were indeed riding a bicycle down a busy public road with a rifle slung across their back would you not want one of those "ignorant cops" to a least speak with the individual on the bike? Not to harass or intimidate but simply to determine if possibly the biker is on his way to the nearest public school?
I was just being a little silly with the response, or sarcastic. Funny thing is, when I was in elementary school, I remember getting to hold all sorts of military rifles on history day when a group of reenactors came to the library. Heck, we even shot a civil way howitzer cannon on the blacktop outside. Funny how things change and I'm only in my 20s.

Maybe he was headed home from the range....

Why you think its right to stop and ask if he isnt doing anything wrong?

I was just being a little silly with the response, or sarcastic. Funny thing is, when I was in elementary school, I remember getting to hold all sorts of military rifles on history day when a group of reenactors came to the library. Heck, we even shot a civil way howitzer cannon on the blacktop outside. Funny how things change and I'm only in my 20s.

I'm way past my 20s and we had rifles and shotguns in our trucks at school and no one thought anything of it. That Howitzer must have been a blast.

Um...no. Why would I? Are we to assume everyone currently engaged in legal activities is potentially up to no good? Do you want everyone to have to prove their innocence?

Back
Top Bottom