• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Retail Internet Sales Tax for Georgia Residents Starts 1/1/2019

I admittedly don't know your business but if you're in motorcycle repair your business sounds like one that shouldn't have been impacted by internet sales much anyway. Who buys a bunch of parts online only to pay jacked up labor rates?

I see this having a large impact on gun and ammo sales personally. Amazon was already charging tax on most sales anyway. I'm sorry but I can't cheer more taxes.
lots of people. i have plenty of internet parts hanging on my walls broken. the thing is, when i sell a lowering link or stretch kit, its good quality,online has no need. they dont face the customer,they dont worry if they get hurt when a part fails or breaks, the tax will force many online sellers into the light. if you sell crap and it kills someone,you can change your name and duck out. if you sell crap and are forced to have a tax id number, it changes things.
also
buy your guns and ammo local.. ga arms and local gun shops. support the people who support our hobby...
as far as jacked up labor rates, its not jacked up as much as not discounted. but your keyboard cant fix your bike, and if i dont make enough to keep the doors open,then when you need me,i wont be there.

ok
when sales tax started your grandpa or great grandpa as well as mine accepted it. we did not have a 1930's tea party...did we?
its sad that confuses you.:becky:

Yeah, but if you bought something in a catalog from another state there wasn't a sales tax. That's not on our forefathers, that's something that literally just started. The point of this thread.
I'm not confused, your statement just doesn't make sense.

What bothers me is that they say GA will collect an extra $500 to $600 worth in taxes. Where does it go, shouldn't my taxes go down somewhere else. It never seems to work like that. They always seem to find somewhere else to spend it.

lots of people. i have plenty of internet parts hanging on my walls broken. the thing is, when i sell a lowering link or stretch kit, its good quality,online has no need. they dont face the customer,they dont worry if they get hurt when a part fails or breaks, the tax will force many online sellers into the light. if you sell crap and it kills someone,you can change your name and duck out. if you sell crap and are forced to have a tax id number, it changes things.
also
buy your guns and ammo local.. ga arms and local gun shops. support the people who support our hobby...
as far as jacked up labor rates, its not jacked up as much as not discounted. but your keyboard cant fix your bike, and if i dont make enough to keep the doors open,then when you need me,i wont be there.

Report back in a few months and let us know if sales are up. That's really the only way to know.

The only really fair way to do this is to do away with the sales tax completely and just raise the income tax a couple of percent to compensate. Online and brick and mortar win/win.

Yeah, but if you bought something in a catalog from another state there wasn't a sales tax. That's not on our forefathers, that's something that literally just started. The point of this thread.
I'm not confused, your statement just doesn't make sense.
only when you take it out of context.. the full statement was this...
you cant give one group of sellers that advantage. we can go on about how sales tax is wrong, but if i am subject to a set of rules, so should my competition.
you may feel differently, but that does not make it right. you may have a full time job and a side hustle business and not care as much. but at the end of the day our forefathers accepted the terms and we must live with them or change them...
we can argue that sales tax is wrong,but we are subject to them now because our forefathers did not fight them....
look
the tax is here and of all the things that have been done,i agree with this one. by taxing internet sales,it takes that little incentive away. so maybe we will see more money spent in brick and mortar stores. that money,although taxed helps your community.

a man comes thru town. he will need to stay in town in the near future for a business conference.
he goes to the local motel and asks to check out a room."i like to spend an hour in a room before i decide to stay in it". the inn keeper says fine, i will require a $100 dollar deposit. you will get a full refund in an hour if you dont mess the room. the business man agrees and hands him the money,then walks up stairs.
the inn keeper calls the power company,says he has the 100 bucks he owes. the guy at the power company gets his cash and calls the butcher, i have the 100 bucks i owe you for the meat from last week. the butcher gets the money and calls the town prostitute, i have the 100 bucks i owe for last weeks visits. she collects and calls the inn keeper...i have the money i owe you for my room rental and she pays him..
the business man comes down stairs and says the room smells of hookers and raw meat,gets his money back and goes on his way..
no one made any money and everyone got paid....
the moral is,just a little cash on the local level can make a huge impact on your community....
shop local...

Hit me with some sales tax on an internet buy today. Can’t stand it but what are we gonna do about it but pay it. The snowball is just too big now.

Back
Top Bottom