• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Retail Internet Sales Tax for Georgia Residents Starts 1/1/2019

Just placed an order with Brownells, no tax. :clap2:

Under Georgia’s new law, online retailers that make at least $250,000 in sales or 200 individual sales a year in Georgia must either collect and remit to the state sales taxes on purchases or send “tax due” notices each year to customers who spend at least $500 on their sites. If the second option is used, the customer would be obligated to send the taxes to the state Department of Revenue, and retailers would have to send the state copies of the notices to customers.

My guess is many retailers aren't ready for this yet and are going with Option 2. You might not have spent $500 though, in which case it wouldn't apply.

im really concerned about what this does to the small mom and pop stores who may unknowlingly fail to comply with the new standards

and whoever says this helps local business must forget that alot of online retailers have warehouses and hubs that are in fact local. doesnt matter, taxes are a burden in every form

Under Georgia’s new law, online retailers that make at least $250,000 in sales or 200 individual sales a year in Georgia must either collect and remit to the state sales taxes on purchases or send “tax due” notices each year to customers who spend at least $500 on their sites. If the second option is used, the customer would be obligated to send the taxes to the state Department of Revenue, and retailers would have to send the state copies of the notices to customers.

My guess is many retailers aren't ready for this yet and are going with Option 2. You might not have spent $500 though, in which case it wouldn't apply.
serious question

retailers dont keep track of SSN and what not for tax purposes

if option 2 is used what if hypothetically an order placed was for a "new customer" everytime. or if i as a customer just created a new profile every time and kept my orders under 500???

Back
Top Bottom