• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RMR Amber vs Green, my experience

Yangcs907

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
75   0
Reaction score
This is a random post but, I own both the rmr04 7 moa amber as well as the rmr05 9 moa green, each mounted to different weapons. I've read a lot about how people seem to prefer the green dot as it's supposedly brighter and the amber one gets a lot of "hate" but from my experience comparing the two however, the amber dot at least to my eyes is A LOT brighter and clearer than the green in virtually all lighting conditions. The green is not bad at all but the amber is noticeably better for me. Does anybody else feel this way? Or is it just my eyes

Well sir, your eyes are more sensitive to yellow light. Perhaps not surprisingly, the exact wavelength match with the predominant light from ole' Sol... at more or less sea-level. The sun is actually white-- but after passing through the "blue" sky, what's left is yellow. And our eyes are optimized for that remaining light, as we are daylight creatures. Crepuscular and nocturnal animals may be different, and chlorophyll photosynthesis is optimized for the light that makes it through a few feet of seawater, but I digress.

So... everything else being equal, amber should appear brighter to you. That does not mean it has higher contrast-- or that everything else truly is equal. But it's suggestive. Amber computer monitors (if you're old enough to remember them) were far more legible than the green ones. At least to me. And a yellow traffic light jumps out more than a green light. At least to me.

I would have automatically looked toward amber-- doesn't green get lost among bright green foliage? I don't know-- I've only handled the red-dot RMRs.

This is a random post but, I own both the rmr04 7 moa amber as well as the rmr05 9 moa green, each mounted to different weapons. I've read a lot about how people seem to prefer the green dot as it's supposedly brighter and the amber one gets a lot of "hate" but from my experience comparing the two however, the amber dot at least to my eyes is A LOT brighter and clearer than the green in virtually all lighting conditions. The green is not bad at all but the amber is noticeably better for me. Does anybody else feel this way? Or is it just my eyes
I agree. Amber is much clearer to me also.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

you shouldn't question which one you see better but rather which is more damaging to your night vision. it can take as much as 30 minutes for the eyes to adjust to the dark..... one flash of the wrong color light and all that is wasted. yellow light is the most damaging...... for many years it was thought that red light was the least damaging and was used by the military and pilots... but about twenty years ago they found green light to be even less damaging. what good is a light if it leaves you blind for several minutes after its use. this applies to flash lights, lasers and lighted dot sights.

Not sure about reticle but I have always preferred the green tubes in my Hi-Viz shotgun sights. Seem to pick it up better especially tracking a dove or a teal early in the year

I have a green RMR and it shines brighter than any foliage I've found myself in, which is some. I don't have an amber to compare it to but the green works well for me too

Back
Top Bottom