• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rodney Scotts BBQ in Atl. - short review

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
505   0
Reaction score
Went to Rodney Scotts BBQ in Atl today. Been wanting to try it out since I saw several shows with him cooking and the history of the original family bbq shack in South Carolina appealed to me..

First impression was it's a little to polished for my kind of BBQ joint. Think 5 Guys with a little hickory smoke in the air. Very much a concept chain feel to it that could (and prob will be) rolled out across the country like Sonnys BBQ or Shanes Rib shack. I had the whole hog pork plate. This is where they cook the whole hog and then chop a little of the shoulder, rib and butt meat so you get all the textures and flavors together. The meat and sauce was very good and I would grab a few pounds to-go IF this place was convenient to me (it ain't by a few counties). Where ol' Rodney fell short was his sides. The mac n cheese was edible but more mac than cheese. Fox Bros would blow this place out of the water in a street fight. The cornbread was sweet, almost like a dessert. That alone almost caused me to leave.

All in all I would have to say I was disappointed. The music was kind of loud and had an urban jazz feel to it and all the cute "Love" and "We are Strong together" patronizing slogans that were all over the place kind of killed my BBQ buzz. I spent about $17 bucks there for lunch and did not leave hungry, but was not satisfied either. It just didn't live up to what I expected it to be. And the location kinda sucked as well. Anyone else been there and felt different about the place?

I watched the story as well. I don’t think there is a good way to take a good down home backwoods bbq joint and make it into a chain without taking a hit on quality. It’s about like trying to make restaurant bbq from competition bbq. Haven’t eaten there, and as long as it’s in Atlanta I never will. With that said, I’m glad Rodney is benefitting (hopefully) after hearing his story.

Generally speaking we seek out the mom and pop places. Millers Rib Shach in Dalton, JD’s in Cherokee county, for a chain we do like Jim and Nick’s. Have yet to find a good barbecue place in my now home or Rome. Thatchers in Summerville is good.

Generally speaking we seek out the mom and pop places. Millers Rib Shach in Dalton, JD’s in Cherokee county, for a chain we do like Jim and Nick’s. Have yet to find a good barbecue place in my now home or Rome. Thatchers in Summerville is good.

Not quite Rome but Characters BBQ in Adairsville is really good

I started eating there when he was up the road in that old gas station. That dude can cook!

Went to Rodney Scotts BBQ in Atl today. Been wanting to try it out since I saw several shows with him cooking and the history of the original family bbq shack in South Carolina appealed to me..

First impression was it's a little to polished for my kind of BBQ joint. Think 5 Guys with a little hickory smoke in the air. Very much a concept chain feel to it that could (and prob will be) rolled out across the country like Sonnys BBQ or Shanes Rib shack. I had the whole hog pork plate. This is where they cook the whole hog and then chop a little of the shoulder, rib and butt meat so you get all the textures and flavors together. The meat and sauce was very good and I would grab a few pounds to-go IF this place was convenient to me (it ain't by a few counties). Where ol' Rodney fell short was his sides. The mac n cheese was edible but more mac than cheese. Fox Bros would blow this place out of the water in a street fight. The cornbread was sweet, almost like a dessert. That alone almost caused me to leave.

All in all I would have to say I was disappointed. The music was kind of loud and had an urban jazz feel to it and all the cute "Love" and "We are Strong together" patronizing slogans that were all over the place kind of killed my BBQ buzz. I spent about $17 bucks there for lunch and did not leave hungry, but was not satisfied either. It just didn't live up to what I expected it to be. And the location kinda sucked as well. Anyone else been there and felt different about the place?
BBQ is ubiquitous to the area but good BBQ is hard to find. Thank you for biting the butt and giving us an honest review.

I started eating there when he was up the road in that old gas station. That dude can cook!

I miss the old place, it was like you were eating at Michael's house. The best times to go are when it's not too busy and you can chat with him.

Back
Top Bottom